cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting VM landline number while in contract

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'm in contract with a broadband/TV/phone deal.

I want to sign up to another VOIP phone service and port my number over to it, without disturbing the other services.  This is not with the intention of reducing the cost, I just want to change the phone service and leave the others intact.

In theory this shouldn't be a problem, but knowing VM's chaotic systems I don't want the whole contract to be cut off and get a demand for early cancellation.

Has anyone done this successfully?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.
13 REPLIES 13

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jpeg1, thank you for your post.

This is certainly something we can action for you, but you may be liable for Early Disconnection Fees specifically in relation to the landline.

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Thanks Daniel. I won't trouble you further at the moment as this was just an initial enquiry.

It does seem odd that there should be a charge to disconnect something that will actually save VM money since it isn't used for outgoing calls, only for incoming calls. But of course VM does use every opportunity to extract money from its customers.

I'll probably leave this now until my contract ends, when I'll be leaving anyway.  

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @jpeg1, no problem at all.

We're sorry to hear you feel this way and that you intend to leave us.

If, at any point, you'd like us to clarify the situation regarding the Early Disconnection Fees, please respond to the private message.

Regards,
Daniel

Client62
Legend

To keep the bundle VM whole,  perhaps it would be possible to port the land line number from VM to a VOIP provider, on the understanding that VM will allocate a replacement land line number so as to keep the bundle whole.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

Thanks Daniel. I won't trouble you further at the moment as this was just an initial enquiry.

It does seem odd that there should be a charge to disconnect something that will actually save VM money since it isn't used for outgoing calls, only for incoming calls. But of course VM does use every opportunity to extract money from its customers.

I'll probably leave this now until my contract ends, when I'll be leaving anyway.  

You have a bundle for all 3 core services over a minimum period. Remove a core service & you get a disconnection fee, plus you have to renegotiate the price of the remaining services which you lose discount on. Long gone are the days when services were seen as separate items within a bundle contract.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes I had thad thought of that, but would you trust any 'understanding' with VM? Where would that be recorded in my contract?  You know how VM works 😞

As soon as the port request comes through, someone will probably take that as cancellation of the contract, which in many cases it would be.

I wanted to get the phone number secured with a VOIP service before the end of the contract, because the new provider doesn't offer a phone service. 

- jpeg1

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Client62 wrote:

To keep the bundle VM whole,  perhaps it would be possible to port the land line number from VM to a VOIP provider, on the understanding that VM will allocate a replacement land line number so as to keep the bundle whole.

Nice try, but the new number would be seen as a separate service entity. We are talking fixed line numbers, not SIM cards in a mobile. The OP could rent a second line to do this, but would probably be stuck with a minimum period.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Thanks for all the advice. How's this for a plan?

A month before the VM contract finishes, I'll get the new FTTP set up to run in parallel with VM. My router has dual WAN inputs.

The day after the VM contract finishes I'll get the VOIP provider to request the number port.  Immediately that's gone through I'll cancel VM with 30 days notice.  This means I'll be paying them for a month and a bit at the new rate, but I can live with that.

Can't say I'll be sad to leave VM, after seeing how some customers have been treated recently.

- jpeg1

....or you could bring the VM notice plan forward a month which would be my personal preference as it would avoid out of contract costs?