cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO incoming calls on my BT Diverse 3016 cordless phone but Outgoing calls OK. Why ??

MoiraBT67
Tuning in

Hiya,

Just got connected 2 days ago on M250 fibre broadband + phone (weekend chatter).

Was told by engineer to wait 24 h for landline to be fully functional.

Found out yesterday that outgoing calls are fine but can not receive any income  !!

2nd engineer came this morning to say my phone is too old and I need to buy a new VOIP one.

Any idea why my BT Diverse 3016 cordless phone would work 1 way and not the other ?

Is there an adaptor for that as these VOIP phones are not cheap new ?

Thanks everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm so glad we did not go down the VM VOIP route !

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MoiraBT67 wrote:

Hiya,

Just got connected 2 days ago on M250 fibre broadband + phone (weekend chatter).

Was told by engineer to wait 24 h for landline to be fully functional.

Found out yesterday that outgoing calls are fine but can not receive any income  !!

2nd engineer came this morning to say my phone is too old and I need to buy a new VOIP one.

Any idea why my BT Diverse 3016 cordless phone would work 1 way and not the other ?

Is there an adaptor for that as these VOIP phones are not cheap new ?

Thanks everyone.

Does your BT phone show a caller ID for an incoming call but just not ring?

If you answer the phone for an incoming call (even though there is no ringing), does the call connect normally/OK, just without the ringing present?

If so that may require a different adapter (one which has a 'ringing capacitor' inside).

There was, however, a recent topic in which problems with this model were mentioned (even after trying a replacement adapter)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Handset-no-longer-works-after-fibre-switchover/td-p/...

You do not need a VOIP phone for VM's landline via hub. It is designed to work with conventional UK domestic phones.

Hi @MoiraBT67 

Welcome to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline at this time due to the phone compatibility. Although most modern phones will work with the new landline IP system, there could be some that unfortunately are not fully compatible. 

I can see on the systems that the engineer tried different handsets at the visit which worked, concluding it was the phone itself causing the issue. You can try to see if the steps advised by our helpful VIP and the different adapter help with your device at all, or the link to the thread mentioning the same phone model can support further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

What may be required is to use the BT Diverse 3016 with its original BT style cable and this adaptor ...

RJ11 to BT Socket with Ring Capacitor 

This adaptor has a ring capacitor which your phone appears to need & is not present in the VM supplied adaptors.

Hello Carley, 

No offence but the engineer did NOT try different handsets - just tested our phone with a handheld 'computer'. 

Wish we had fully been made aware of this incompability at time of order, clearly stating a VOIP phone will be required.

This is now an unplanned expense as I take it there is no adaptor... 

Thanks and have a good day. 

My apologies @MoiraBT67 

You do not need a VOIP handset for the landline to work, although some VOIP may work with your set up, as advised most modern phones, I'm sorry that your particular phone was not full compatible. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hello Goslow,

1 very short ringing tone then the call drops and no connection.

(although not answered, I still got charged for calling from my Giffgaff PAYG mobile while testing the landline...!)

Will read all messages and see if any solution in sight as some say I don't need to buy a new VOIP phone but a cable or an adapter. 

Do not buy a VOIP phone, they will not work in this situation & will be a waste of your funds.

The adaptor with a ring capacitor is designed to replicate how BT built their telephone Master Sockets.

Below is an image of a BT Master Socket, the large yellow component is the Ring Capacitor that component is not present in the VM supplied phone adaptor and its absence is the reason why earlier models of phones using a 3 wire connection do not ring on an inbound call.

Client62_0-1676637507622.png

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

Do not buy a VOIP phone, they will not work in this situation & will be a waste of your funds.

The adaptor with a ring capacitor is designed to replicate how BT built their telephone Master Sockets.

Below is an image of a BT Master Socket, the large yellow component is the Ring Capacitor that component is not present in the VM supplied phone adaptor and its absence is the reason why earlier models of phones using a 3 wire connection do not ring on an inbound call.

Under normal circumstances, a 90's and 00's phone might be 'fixed' with a ringing capacitor adapter but MoiraBT67's description does sound like a carbon copy of the topic linked at #2 where such an adapter was tried, with the same model of phone, and didn't remedy the issue.