cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Phone

Scorpiogirl1
Joining in

I don’t need a landline and have been trying to get it removed, as I don’t want to pay £19 a month for something I neither want nor use. However, this simple thing has proved difficult. Eventually, Virgin removed the £19 a month charge from my bill, but this is only for a period of 18 months and then it will be applied again, even though I won’t suddenly start to need the phone again. To quote Virgin’s blurb for new customers: ‘You can get broadband and TV without a phone in the package. Many of us rely on our mobile phones … more than we do a traditional landline. As no one wants to pay for a service they’re not going to use, many providers have a number of broadband and TV packages available to cater for this need.’ So why do I still have to pay for mine? Also, I recently discovered that it is actually broken and no one can get through anyway (the only people who ring are cold-callers and it’s been wonderfully quiet all year!); the line is dead and the jack has become wedged – it is no longer in the socket and I can’t pull it out of the cover either. How do I prevent Virgin from starting to charge me £19 a month again for a) something I don’t want or use and b) something that is broken anyway?

21 REPLIES 21

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Scorpiogirl1,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having this issue, to clarify with our packages if you want to have both broadband and TV in a package it would only come with a landline as part of this bundle, if order for us to provide you the best price possible it would come with a landline included and we are limited in what we can do with this.

Joe

Thank you, Joe, but the publicity on the website says that isn’t the case (see my quote above).

Hey @Scorpiogirl1,

Would you be able to provide us an image of the website that says this, I'm just having a bit of trouble finding that exert you mentioned.

Joe

IMG_0487.png

You may have received a nominal £19 discount when you last renewed but that isn't the cost of the landline within a package. That is the cost of a landline only with no other services.

You may (possibly) not see all VM's package offerings on screen as an existing VM customer. I am no longer with VM and can see Broadband+TV only packages. From your link these are

132 Mpbs/190 Channels/TV 360 box £75/pm
264 Mbps/190 Channels/TV 360 box £81/pm
362 Mbps/190 Channels/TV 360 box £87/pm

these are all flat-rate packages prices for 18 months with no discount available even to new customers

VM's bundle prices mean you will get a better package price with the landline (even if you make no use of it)

On the same screen which you can probably see

Big Bundle 264 Mbps/100 Channels/TV 360 box/Weekend chatter £31.99/pm 18 months £65/pm from month 19
Bigger Bundle 264 Mbps/190 Channels/TV 360 box/Weekend chatter £39.50/pm 18 months £85/pm from month 19

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With the other services you have, the multiple discounts mean you are only paying around £6 -12 for the home phone (line rental doesn’t exist anymore). Remove the phone and you lose the discount on the other services. It is bulk buy discount, pure & simple.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you - that makes more sense explained like that.

Thank you!