cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection, required for new landline.

MrFonce
Joining in

I keep receiving e-mails informing me we will be receiving adaptors etc etc, come July 23rd; what puzzles me is the fact we are not connected a via Fibre network.

We were originally connected to Diamond Cable, the cables remain the same, so no Fibre here; & I have been reminded of that often when trying to obtain a Fibre connection for the obvious benefits.

What exactly does VM have in mind for homes that are still on the original copper cables ??,

9 REPLIES 9

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you only got a landline phone, no broadband?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrFonce wrote:

I keep receiving e-mails informing me we will be receiving adaptors etc etc, come July 23rd; what puzzles me is the fact we are not connected a via Fibre network.

We were originally connected to Diamond Cable, the cables remain the same, so no Fibre here; & I have been reminded of that often when trying to obtain a Fibre connection for the obvious benefits.

What exactly does VM have in mind for homes that are still on the original copper cables ??,

If you are on Virgin you are on Fibre to Cabinet, & always have been. Your phone line is going digital from your hub to the excahnge. That is the only thing changing (at the moment).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MrFonce

Thanks for posting in regards to the changes to your landline service and how it will operate, we appreciate this can be confusing and you taking the time to raise this via the forums. Welcome to the community.

As mentioned by both Tudor and nodrogd, we have been in the process of updating all customer landlines to work via the Hub as opposed to a wall socket. In order for this to work an adapter is required to use on the TEL1 port on the back of your Hub which will be sent out prior to the change. No other services will be changed or impacted by this, solely the landline and how it operates.

Rob

No, we have land line and broadband, apologies for the delay. The other replies make it quite clear now; thanks anyway.

Thank for replying; not knowing heaps about it, & reading what I could; is the adapter simply that, a means of using the landline post July 25th (ish).

I understand the issue of use during a possible power outage, i.e 999 only for 1 hr, being in my 70's & hearing about the use of some kind of battery back-up; is that a piece of gear that is supplied by Virgin or something the customer will have to purchase ??.

MrFonce

Thank you for your response @MrFonce 

We are glad to see the community was able to help bring clarity to this. If you need a backup line in case the broadband and landline are down our team can provide an Emergency backup line. You can find out all you need to know here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs We would add this to your service for free. Is this something you would be interested in?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Akua-A, Thanks for your swift reply, it certainly would be something I would be interested in.

I will have a look through the FAQ’s etc & see how it happens.

Thanks Again, first time on here & sorted out already 👍👍🍻

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One thing that is rather confusing to users is that VM always refer to it as fibre broadband when in fact most users are still fed via a coax cable from the street cabinet.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Glad to hear you were able to get help here on the forums. Once you have read through the FAQs and are happy to proceed, please let me know and I can place a request for you 🙂

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs