cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is it called when your landline goes through your Hub?

geriann
Superfast

Last year my landline connection stopped working so Virgin connected my landline to my Hub3.
So if my Hub stops working, my landline stops working.

6 REPLIES 6

gilbo2
Dialled in

I’ve mostly seen it referred to as a Digital Landline.

Client62
Legend

Correct the Hub must be working for the phone to work, this is the same as solutions being provided by BT and this is an solution to provide home phones after Openreach close all analogue telephone exchanges in 2025.

It is called Digital Voice by VM & BT, this is purely a marketing term and must not to be confused with VOIP.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/digital-voice-switchover

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi geriann,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, we understand your concerns around our Landline Via the Router and the possibility of losing the ability to make calls if your Internet goes down, if you have a lifeline attached to the phone or are registered as Vulnerable we can add a back up phone which can be used in emergencies if the line goes down.

Regards

Paul.

geriann
Superfast

On Virgin's website it says...

"Who’s eligible for the Emergency Backup Line? Customers with accessibility needs & customers without access to a mobile phone can get our Emergency Backup Line, at no extra cost."
When a Virgin engineer changed my landline to going through my Hub [which he had to because my landline cable wouldn't work anymore] he said something about a backup box i could get. However i can get a mobile phone signal. Does that mean i can still get 1, but i'll have to pay for it?

It also says "in areas where there’s no mobile coverage our Emergency Backup Line won’t work"!
Which wont help some people.

oh so i'd still need to change landline before the big 2025 landline switchover?
How do i find out if i'm registered as vulnerable with Virgin?

I'd be happy to check this with you via a private message @geriann.

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.