cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will emails works with the New Outlook?

pot-shadley
Dialled in

I generally use the Mail app (with win10) on my pc for emails but have now started to see in the top right corner a 'Try the new Outlook' button. The Mail app has two accounts added to it. One is an @outlook.com and the other is a @virginmedia.com account. 

If I try the new Outlook does anyone know if there will be any issues with the @virginmedia.com account, as prefer this way of accessing mail rather than webmail?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pot-shadley  Virgin Media now require the use of an app generated password when accessing your email account via a client using the IMAP and SMTP servers.

So, even though you know the webmail password you need to follow the steps set out by @Steven_L  to generate the app password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pot-shadley 

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your query.

You should be able to access both emails as normal with the new Outlook app. Can you confirm if the @VirginMedia.com is linked to an active cable account?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

pot-shadley
Dialled in

Thanks. The @virginmedia account is linked (as far as I know) to a cable account but isn't the primary email address. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

This should be fine with connecting the accounts to the new outlook, keep us updated with how this goes pot-shadley

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Travis, Have just tried the new Outlook. The Outlook.com account works fine but the @virginmedia account doesn't. To get this working I need an IMAP password whatever that is. Any ideas?

Thanks for coming back to us pot-shadley, you can get set up a new email password using the steps below:

• Sign in to My Virgin Media
• Go to Account settings, then Account details
• Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
• Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password
• Continue the flow and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked
• Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

I don't want to set up a new password (as I know what it is). I need to know what an IMAP password is as that is what the new Outlook is asking for.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pot-shadley  Virgin Media now require the use of an app generated password when accessing your email account via a client using the IMAP and SMTP servers.

So, even though you know the webmail password you need to follow the steps set out by @Steven_L  to generate the app password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I've had a look at the password generator and two things come to mind.

1. Why do I need to use a non @virginmedia email account (eg @outlook.com) for this and future logging in?

2. If I update and have to use an @outlook.com account assume that this only affects the account I'm changing the password for and not any others. I & my wife have other @ntlworld.com email accounts. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1. If you think about it would not work to have one Virginmedia email address as the username for a different VM email address, hence it needs to be a non VM address.  The change has been made to allow the use of two factor authentication for password changes.

2. Each VM email address will need a separate third party email address as the username.  So if you have three VM email addresses you will need three third party email addresses for the usernames.

In the above VM email address refers equally to Ntlworld, blueyonder and virgin.net emails