cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Security Issue

Arclady
Tuning in

Has there been a serious data breach that Virgin Media are denying?

My email password has been exposed and hackers have gained access to my password and taken over at least one account linked to my finances and business. Goodness knows what else they have done. Completely impossible to speak to anyone at VM to try and trace things quickly. Filed a police report but stuck with this unbelievably impossible customer service. Changing passwords is almost impossible too.

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There have been many reported cases like this. Fingers have been pointed at VM but there are no definite conclusions. They have been tightening up email access, it might be worth reading here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Arclady,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about your email address. 

We have had no evidence of any breach of data from ourselves. 

Have you been able to reset the password for the email address?

^Martin

I have been able to reset the password, but they have used the account to lock me out of other accounts.

Can I add that I have been blocked from other accounts AFTER resetting my password.

I found the hacker sending mail and deleting the evidence. Fortunately I have proof that this happened from my deleted items folder and have both taken a screenshot and sent both to a third party. I have since changed my password again. However I don't trust the system now.

I have made a complaint to VM but such a breach has been denied and they have tried to shut the case.

Hi Martin,

I was able to use my email account on Tuesday but Wed morning I am told my account has been locked and unavailable.

I followed the steps to change my third party email address and password but I am still locked out.

I have no way of knowing if my account has been compromised or not or if this is part of the 'essential work' that is due to hit my postcode area today at 9am.

Torbrex

Felixkat
Up to speed

Out of interest what type of email address do you have, is it a virginmedia one or an older one such as ntlworld?

Hi @Arclady 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. 

There has been no breach so no denial as such.

Please follow this guide which helps - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/why-is-my-virgin-media-email-hacked

I'll also send you a PM now to assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill