cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Router faulty need replacement

bteam
Tuning in

02:30 am router kept disconnecting from my iPhone and iPad. 
Tried rebooting from web interface. Still faulty. Tried power off then on. Still faulty.

DHCP Server not assigning Ip addresses. 
Tried factory reset via web interface and then pin hole rest both have made it worse.

The hub 5 is Not storing the correct information I enter. Eg do a factory pin reset log in to router via web interface you enter the device password then enter a new password for device then the hub reboots. Then after rebooting it’s ask you to setup the language and password. So the hub is not saving the settings. Also after each factory reset the default WiFi encryption is set to Disabled which is not correct, so I enable it. Reboot and again the WiFi devices can sort of connect using the correct WiFi password but the router Does Not issue an IP address. So you can’t surf the net. If I set a static ip address on my mobile phone or iPad then I can login the router and look at the settings but the fact the factory reset is not working correctly is an issue to. 

to sum up

Factory Pin Rest.

can log into router with password on the bottom of router

i can connect via WiFi password but get no local ip address from router

factory reset not resetting to correct defaults, eg WiFi security default should be on NOT disabled 

Power turn off and on router does not keep some settings so you have to enter them again.

i have tried phoning and spoke to two different people got cut off talking to first person second person didn’t know what the DHCP server was and after an hour banging on about the password then telling me she is talking about the other password (she means the WiFi password) telling me to check that. A bloody hour I I couldn’t get her to move on about the passwords. She admitted Virgin have no technical staff I could talk to. Then she said I “you have device connected in the list” meaning the router has device on my WiFi but I couldn’t make her understand if the router does give an ip address you can go anywhere. Disgraceful Virgin Media I worked in IT for 20 years until I injured my back I know when a device is faulty I am so angry you have no one to talk to that understands your router.

i just need a replacement hub 5. But she said she had to go through all the checks rubbish! She just talking to other people in the background after an hour , oh hell waist of time and my money being a virgin customer if you have such terrible technical support. The amount I pay per month! Time to leave I think

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you do a full 60 second pinhole reset and leave the Hub to reboot itself?  It should present the language and password first before anything else. The hub can take 10 to 15 minutes or more to settle after a reset as it has to download the latest firmware etc. 

However it seems difficult to get VM to replace a Hub if it powers on.  It would have been better if the Hub failed completely. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you do a full 60 second pinhole reset and leave the Hub to reboot itself?  It should present the language and password first before anything else. The hub can take 10 to 15 minutes or more to settle after a reset as it has to download the latest firmware etc. 

However it seems difficult to get VM to replace a Hub if it powers on.  It would have been better if the Hub failed completely. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes I tried the 60 second reset didn’t work

Plus when you reboot the router or just switch it off then on, when you log into the router it asks for language and password changes. 

Well thanks for the reply and giving me the enthusiasm to try the 60 sec pin reset again. After a third attempt the DHCP Server has indeed started working. Thank you. After talking to VM so called tech support I was very depressed. 

One question for anyone in know after doing the 60s rest the WiFi security settings was set to Disabled, not WAP2/WAP3. This seems a poor default. Just curious if this is normal.

bteam
Tuning in

PS After trying to fix the issue via the web interface when I went downstairs to the Hub 5, the Hub 5 had a green light on instead of white, just thought this was odd.

Green light is modem mode? Also.i had the same with my hub 5 recently with pinhole reset not resetting properly and took three attempts and as you had the default wifi secuirty was no encryption. Luckily I run modem.but when you have issues they have to.be diagnosed I router mode due to.the fact they cannot run diagnostics on hubs in modem mode (poor in this day and age to be fair)

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Modem Mode

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think because in modem mode all the Hub functions are disabled, and there is nothing to test?  It's just a bridge at that point.