cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email problems

vonWolfhound
Joining in

Hi I am having a similar problem  I can get my ntlworld emails using VM ebmail  but cannot use  Outlook like I used to.  I have read all the help advice and changed my log into  a non VM emal and changed password to no avail. I still cannot  get outlook to connect to the server.   I did delete the email account in Outlook  sevral times  & tried connecting but as I said nothing.

I tried down loading Thunderbird   but found the same issue   -- would not connect to VM server.

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vonWolfhound Have you gone through the process of generating an app password for use with email clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird?

Each email address now requires two passwords, one for VM webmail and My VM and the generated password for use with email clients.  In addition a third party email address is used as the login username for webmail and My VM.  For email clients the username remains the full VM email address.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @vonWolfhound 

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

vonWolfhound
Joining in

Thank you have not seen any pm yet.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vonWolfhound wrote:

Thank you have not seen any pm yet.

To check for forum PM messages:

• On a laptop or similar device you need to look at envelop icon at the top of the forum page. If you have a PM it will have a '1' against it. Click on that it will take you to the PM area.
  • If you are viewing the forum on a mobile phone or similar you need to touch the round image top right of the forum page. Then touch 'Messages' in the drop down menu.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks