cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld email disappeared

Quiz1966
Joining in

Ntlworld email has just disappeared

all my sign ins are connected to this email so can’t log the issue , pay an outstanding balance on my O2 account or find any numbers or people to call.

Does anyone know how to get email reconnected or where to go to.

I like others have been customer for over 20 years , but can honestly say since the merger mobile service is worse than ever  

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Quiz1966 wrote:

Ntlworld email has just disappeared

can’t log the issue , pay an outstanding balance on my O2 account

been customer for over 20 years 

Just to clarify, do you still have a Virgin Media broadband account?

I only ask that because, although VM and 02 have merged, you still have to be a VM broadband customer to be entitled to use a VM email account.

VM's broadband terms and conditions have always said that all email account linked to a VM broadband account would be deleted 90 days after the BB account was closed.

In reality they often left those email accounts open for years. However, VM stopped issuing new email accounts a couple of years ago they now seem to have been more active in closing VM email accounts that are no longer linked to a live broadband account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Quiz1966 Thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums, 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the email you are having. 😢
May I ask how you are accessing email?

Are you accessing them through an app such as Outlook or via the webmail?

Let us know. 🧾

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Robbie247
Joining in

I had an issue on Friday where all my emails disappeared on my ntlworld account.  When I opened either the Inbox, Set Items or Trash, they showed the contents which about 2 seconds later completely disappeared.  They were gone from my phone on Outlook too.

I could send emails but didn't appear to be able to receive any.

I contacted Virgin who led me to the "email rules" which is found under "settings" (the little cog wheel top right), "email", "filter rules".  There I found that two "rules" had ben added which forwarded all my emails, past and incoming, to a different email address and deleted them from my account.  It seems my account had been hacked and these rules added.

Once I changed all my Virgin and ntlworld passwords and deleted the "rules" all is fine going forward so far.  Sadly there seems no way to retrieve the lost emails.

Fortunately I have a habit of creating folders within the Inbox for things like gas, electricity, holidays, insurance, receipts, orders etc., anything I think is important, and moving relevant emails into the appropriate folder.  Those emails appear to have survived the hack.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for updating us @Robbie247 and I am so sorry that you have lost some emails. 

To clarify, is this email attached to a current and active broadband account with us? If not it would be worth sending any important emails across to a third party email as we do delete email accounts that are no longer attached to current broadband accounts after 90 days. 

Are you now able to access everything OK or do you still need some help?

Hi Ashleigh,

Apologies for the delay in replying but to add to my woes my laptop packed in and is just back working.

I have a Virgin Broadband account.  I didn't lose "some" emails, I lost them all.  Inbox, Sent Items, everything.  My emails were lost because my ntlworld email was hacked and all my emails sent to an outlook account with a similar name.  The hack also deleted the emails.  I changed my passwords but two days later that ntlworld account was hacked again by the same person, deleting all my emails generated since the last hack.  My contacts received emails purporting to be from me asking for money.

Looking at other posts on the Virgin Community I am not alone in losing all my emails.  I'm afraid I have no confidence that my ntlworld email will not be hacked again so I will be deleting it once I have moved everything to a new address.

In my opinion this is a Virgin Media security issue.  The hacker didn't have access to my computer, just my ntlworld email, hosted on Virgin Media.  The call centre person I spoke to insisted that I must have shared my password with someone which was plainly ridiculous, especially the second time I was hacked when I had already changed my passsword to a totally random string of characters.

Kind regards,

Robert

Thanks for the update Robert, we're very sorry for the issues you've had with the email. 

You can find information on how to ensure your email account is secure here

If you do need us to delete the email address from our side, please let us know and we can pop you over a private message.

Alex_Rm