cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder not working in Outlook & Apple

iang31
Tuning in

Despite doing quite a lot of reading, I can no longer get my blueyonder emails to work in Outlook (Office365), and on my personal devices, iPhone and iPad (both with latest IOS).

I have tried the virginmeia.com suffix and the blueyonder.co.uk, neither allow the accounts to receive or send email, continually prompting me that my username of password are incorrect.

I can operte my blueyonder email very effectively through the web platform using the exact same username and password.

I am sure it will be linked to a simple setting etc, but I feel I've tried everything and can now longer access an inbox I historically utilise on all work and personal devices.

Any hep greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @iang31 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your email service. To confirm, you've said this is via 3rd party client mail, is this working via Webmail or having the same issue?

If it's fine in Webmail, please see here 👉 https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

That’s correct. I can log in via webmail and send and receive easily, all with my username and password. 3rd party (Office365 & IOS), are a no go…

Hello Ian.

Sorry it failed to work on IOS and Office365.

Can I just confirm you are using the 3 words generated when you followed the steps for 3rd party email access?

Gareth_L

I'm a little unsure what you are referring to in terms of the 3 words? Other than IMAP&SMTP server settings, username & password, i'm not sure what else i can enter?

Thanks

Ian

Pelase make sure you are on the latest Outlook update and the latest IOS but please don't download the IOS 16 beta.

Please make sure these are the correct settings ;

1. Step 1: Click on the File tab in the upper-left corner of the Outlook window.
  2. your-email@blueyonder.co.uk. Step 3: Enter your new email address and click Connect.
  3. Step 4: On the next screen, select IMAP.
  4. imap4.blueyonder.co.uk. 993. SSL. smtp.blueyonder.co.uk. 465. SSL.

Keep us updated. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@iang31 wrote:

I'm a little unsure what you are referring to in terms of the 3 words? Other than IMAP&SMTP server settings, username & password, i'm not sure what else i can enter?

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

For some reason they have not publicised it, hence your uncertainty.

From what you have posted, namely you can access the account via webmail but not via any email app/client, it sounds as if you need to generate a VM "mail app password" and then update the account password in your email apps.

To generate a mail app password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the affected email account. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate a "mail app password" which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp (so actually that's 4 words not 3 😉)

You will then need to enter that new mail app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps on your various devices.  However, you will continue to need to use the original password to access your webmail account.

I hope that makes sense.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks