My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception. My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number". There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time. OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls. This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not). This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish). Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?
[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]
Answered! Go to Answer
I’ve got the Bt phone version, thanks though. We used to be with Talktalk and they had the system. Stopped nearly all calls getting through and if one did you told them and it was blocked. It was the first thing I noticed when we moved. 9 am on the first Monday morning and the scam calls started!
I am also experiencing this issue on Virgin Business and ask if this fix is also being rolled out to this system as the technical support team will only state, this is an issue with my phone and I should purchase a different handset at my own cost. If this different equipment does work then great, but reading this post this issue is exactly the same and if it continues with different phone, i have spent money and no fix
According to the MODTeam, a patch was rolled out on 23 Jun impacting home users. Good practice would suggest it would also have been rolled out to business users (if not why not). Sine then and following a reboot of gateways, this issue seems to be resolved. I personally have had no repetition since. The question here is- is it the same issue for business accounts and, if so, why has the “fix” not been applied here?
Well our business suffered the forced copper to IP phone migration last week - not on the day they'd been writing to us about for 3 months but the next. Since then we've had no end of problems - specifically this same phantom call issue 2mins after the previous call had cleared. Even worse is that each time we receive a call and the other party ends the call our wonderful new line is off-hook for 90seconds and unavailable.
Having had VM engineers fail to turn up for 2x separate 4 hour appointment slots (no apologies) we had an engineer today who did his best to diagnose but was leaning toward the incompatibility with the new digital service and our trusty Panasonic phone system. Thank goodness I have eventually found this thread and can add that if a firmware update was applied for Hub5 it's not made it to the business Hitron routers so now out battle with customer support continues.
I feel your pain. It took several months of leading, cajoling, and down right heal-dug-in street fighting to get VM to admit their error, triage, address, and rollout a solution. It wasn’t their fault, we had the wrong phones, their router suppliers were at fault, could not be fixed without a router update, to OK we’ve applied a fix, reboot, all OK now. I hope your journey is smoother and quicker but don’t expect joined up awareness and thinking across the company!
Oh great i was considering moving over to Virgin Media Business after the 18 months of shambles since I was converted to a digital line with EBUL. Its become clear that although VM are their own closed loop network they don't know how to use it any more and have become a basic reseller of inferior directed lines. with only a hand full of people actually knowing what here doing and most not knowing the basics of the services they provide let alone use them. Why oh why do Virgin no longer have users and techs of their own products on hand any more. i Used to able to call the local exchange and have any fault fixed in minutes. current issues has been 4 days without a landline (ok partly my fault for telling them to turn it of) but 3+hrs on the phone today and still no phone as its been disabled their end and now an "engineer visit" scheduled tomorrow who's going to arrive p*ssed off because its a systems / account issue which he/she has no access to and no one at CS knows how or has access to fix it.
Hi @Woodbutcher1234, thank you for your post.
In order to discuss this with you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.
If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.
Going back to this I was the one who noticed that when a ghost call came in who change the phones time and be 1 hour difference, even if you changed it back and a ghost call came in again would alter the time on the phone.
Now that the ghost calls was eventually fixed what we need to look and monitor now is the 1 hour time since clocks change in 29th October be interesting to see if anything happens, fingers crossed it won't but something to look out for