cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Curiouser and curiouser.

In order to answer GC1028's question, I logged in to my Hub5 to look for the manufacturer's name.  After that I took the information from the data plate.  Now the sad part ...

When I logged out of the Hub5 without changing any settings, the ghost calls started again after being absent for 6 weeks.  Have had 3 or 4 since.  Don't understand, but sure as hell doesn't seem like a coincidence.

We'll call today ghost call 63:07 lol getting ridiculous now this

Chris_Myers
Superfast

today - 4 ghost calls so far - 02:03, 03:43, 05:23, and 10:23

Yesterday was interesting as I made some outgoing calls which seem to have disrupted the pattern - 03:14, 04:24, 06:54, (Outgoing call between these) 09:24, 10:48, 13:34, 17:14, (outgoing calls between 16:00 and 19:30) 20:13, and 21:03

A year has just about gone by since this was flagged up and still virgin spouting  the same bullsxxt about time this was addressed as I still delete my call log every day to prevent it filling up. 

Chris_Myers
Superfast

Yep, same old mistake we all made - thinking that Virgin Media gave a damn about its customer base or any inconvenience poorly tested “upgrades” make for that customer.

mikewot
On our wavelength

Now been a day and a half since last ghost call!  Perhaps they've fixed it (fingers crossed)!

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Not here 11 ghost calls so far and one at 63.28

lenworth
On our wavelength

11 since yesterday morning for me.

I also had near 2 days without no number call. Then I wanted to make an outgoing call but had no dial tone. Disconnect the phone into hub 5 and then checked I had a dialing tone and did but back to “numerous no number calls” worth checking you have a dialing tone!

Chris_Myers
Superfast

I seem to get a call at the start of each day marked as Ghost call today, but time sequence seems to go array.

Saturday 12:53 (PM - ?), 01:23 (AM), 02:13 (AM), 04:43 (AM), 08:03 (AM), 01:04 (PM), 01:54 (PM) - then deleted all calls.

Saturday 04:24 (PM), 09:24 (PM), and 11:54 (PM). Then Sunday 03:44 (PM - ?), 02:24 (AM), 04:54 (AM) 05:44 (AM), 08:14 (AM) and 2:04 (PM).  Interestingly, I seem to lately get a small respite late morning early afternoon - perhaps my ghost caller goes for a long lunch 🙂