cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

We have solved this for Virgin then, their tech lab needs to test BT premium phone with hub 5 and work out why it keeps sending these no-number calls that don't ring.

It cant be just blamed on BT premium phone as this is one of most popular phones in UK .. 

Hi @chelmoo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing some landline related issues recently. Would you mind expanding on the issue and situation for me? We're here to help.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Zach all you have to do is read the thread. .. its strange this virgin customer support.   Why is this issue not just dealt with by one person and a bit of transparency with it?   The last support agent said this is being investigated by Virgins internal team.

This screams of just kicking the ball down the street to delay a resolution to me.    Please read the thread ! 

Hi @snozski,

Sorry for any confusion or upset caused. I've read the thread and am aware of the issue prior to replying. I was trying to ascertain if the issue with the customer I replied to was any different at all so I could provide further support and advise accordingly.

Relating to the issue of the thread in general, I'm afraid that this is still being looked into but we'll provide an update once we have one.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Fair play ye.  It's just kinda frustrating how long anything takes with Virgin. 

Zach, Just picked up your question which really, I think, has already been answered. I came to Virgin Media about two weeks ago; no such problems before then but now I constantly have "no number" calls on my display. Since yesterday lunchtime these have been at 1.21pm, 5.31pm, 8.01pm, 9.41pm, 3.11am, 4.21am and 6.51am. I am using a BT Premium phone.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chelmoo,

Welcome back to our Community Forums. Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're also receiving these calls. I can understand how frustrating they are. 

Can you tell us if you're tried to connect a different landline phone to see if this issue continues?

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

57 messages on the subject over 2-3 weeks and still not understanding the issue. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LANDLINES, HANDSETS, or PHONE NUMBERS. The simple truth is that it is the move from landline to IP telephony via hub 5 that is the issue. Either hub5 issues (hardware or configuration) or external influences (engineering, hacking) or wider virgin media network issues. We need this escalating to a single person at management level who will take ownership and identify his/her self, conduct an appropriate investigation, and provide a full explanation and solution. We call it professional and responsible network engineering as opposed to the pas-the-parcel service we are getting up to date. We also need an appropriate forum in which to discuss this - we have all come here because virgin media “are experiencing a high volume of calls” since the switchover, have a wait of 30-45 mins to get to a multiple digit wait list, before getting through (1hr plus later) to be told not us it’s your handset. Not good enough sorry. Escalate to management please.

Hi @Chris_Myers thanks for your reply, I can appreciate your frustrations here.

As Zach has said previously, this is already being investigated and as such we cannot escalate this further - it is being investigated with an attempted fix to be provided ASAP as you've been advised on the other thread you've posted on too.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hello, 

i have a two way bt splitter connected to my hub 5. 
One connected to a bt premium phone, the other a new Panasonic set. As with everyone else, the bt premium phone’s show these calls, Panasonic  set does not. I believe this is simply the hub/vm checking the connection automatically by sending a signla through to the phone and the bt call guardian picking this up as a legitimate call, making these calls show up in recents. 

This issue seems to be only with the bt phones on the hub 5. My premium bt phones worked with both hub 3 and 4 without any issues. 

I will be staying with the hub 5, due to it having the 2.5gb port.