cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Interesting. I had not heard that. It’s probably something to do with device handshaking in that case - are you there, yes I am type messages.

The handset for me 15 missed calls that never ring today from "no number" always on the same minute (x9)  between 1-4 hours apart.  See photo of 2 most recent examples 20220921_214154.jpg

Today (22-09-2022) 2:20 AM, 4:50 AM, 6:30 AM, 9:00 AM, 11:30 AM (5x as at 13:00)

Hello Chris_Myers

Thanks for coming back to the thread. The fix we can offer would be a change of number. Would you like to do this?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

No - this is not a fix - how can it be when it affects multiple users and multiple devices and multiple phone numbers. Would you like to guess another answer and refer the issue on to be appropriately addressed?

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I appreciate why you'd think this, however this is the guidance we've been given. Would you like to proceed with it?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

This is completely unacceptable.  So your saying Virgin no longer allow you to keep your old number?   This was working fine until a week ago.  ITs clearly some tech bug

What part of NO, UNACCEPTABLE is misunderstood. Can we escalate these concerns to management level and provide a full management statement as to 1. Why this is not evidence of a cyber attack 2. Why this is not evidence of technical fault(s), and 3. Why we think changing a phone number will “fix” the issue and not just obscure it (initially at best). You have not even bothered to provide a full explanation of what virgin media believe the issue is, why it’s not related to new equipment/services, and why it is believed a new number will address any identified (.of course even this is not evidenced) unspecified issue(s). Please can we try and provide a professional response with full explanation and not the simplistic and hopeful if you change your number it will go away solution. If I were to do that I would ensure a better level of success by simply changing supplier for all my services. If you want to keep customers - try harder.

Hi Chris_Myers

Thanks for coming back to me. I am sorry you're not happy with the resolution provided. 

I will PM you now to carry this conversation on.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Chris can you keep us updated on what solution they come up with for you.   A'll I've been offered is an engineer visit.   Which I rejected as Its not a line fault !