cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media 360 boxes

creynolds1956
On our wavelength

In the days of the TiVo box, I was allowed 4 boxes.  However since then and currently with the 360 box/mini box we are limited to 3.   Why is this?

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly TV360 is fundamentally different to TiVo/V6, with one master box & subsequent minis. Once upon a time there was a limit of 3 x V6 with one additional TiVo, but when the V6 was launched the limit became 3 for all new installs - anyone who had 4 could keep them, with the first 3 swapped out for V6 if wanted.

Converting to TV360 changes the whole scenario, where V6 remain TV360-masters but can only be fault-replaced with minis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The 360 minis have no hard drive, so must communicate with the 360 to stream recordings. I suspect the limit of two minis is about VM being conservative as additional minis will only increase the chances of a problem due to the 360 having limited power and memory.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

mda99das
Up to speed

I believe there are USB ports on the minis, but they have been software locked by Humax on instruction from VM. How cool would it be if you could add an external hard drive, so many of us have old SATA drives kicking around that you could just hook up.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I power a set of multi-colour LED lights via the usb port on my 360 main box (it was originally a V6) probably not enough to power a hard drive  as the  PSU only  outputs 2.4 amps. It's sufficient to charge a mobile too. I haven't got a mini box but suspect that will be the same.  

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali