cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to search using letters

PinkZeppelin11
Joining in

Hi all

The search function on my 360 box isn't working properly and only allows me to search using numbers - there doesn't seem to be a way to search using letters. Is there a setting that I need to change to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @PinkZeppelin11 

It sounds like you may have the shift key on the left hand side set  to numerical instead of alphabetic.

It's the button(123) to the left on the number 4 which should change to ABC when you highlight it and press OK

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

Thank you for your reply. However, it seems to be an issue with typing using the remote generally, e.g. when I try to type in the WiFi password it also only shows numbers. When I use the search function, the usual keyboard is not appearing at all, so there is no option to switch from numbers to letter.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @PinkZeppelin11 

Have you tried rebooting the 360?

If that doesn't fix it then try a factory reset. It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. 

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset. You are given 2 options

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

Choose Keep Recordings, that means you won't lose your recordings and any planned recordings or series links you've set up. You will have to sign into your apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again. Also Match frame rate and Standby power consumption will go back to their default settings if you have changed them.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

Thank you - I have done a factory reset, but the keyboard is still not appearing. Is there a setting that I need to change? It is very odd, as the TV / remote are otherwise working OK.

Many thanks

Hi PinkZeppelin11,

Thanks for your post on the forums about this unusual issue with the keyboard! I am sorry if this is causing you some frustration. 

I'm glad you've been given some help from @newapollo, sorry this didn't resolve it though!

Could I ask you to pop a screenshot of the keyboard onto this thread so we can take a look please? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan

Thank you for your message.

The issue is that the keyboard is not appearing at all - this screen appears (photo attached) but pushing the down arrow, the 'OK' button, etc. does not make the keyboard appear. If I type where it says 'Start your search' it only shows numbers, not letters.

Many thanks

Screenshot_20221115-192700_Gallery.jpg

Hi PinkZeppelin11, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I think the best thing to do here is to arrange an engineer to come and replace the box as there are no settings to be changed as far as we are aware. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

In the meantime, the 360 allows you to search using voice commands so you can try this option too. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I've followed this thread as it perfectly matches the experience that I have had.  

Alphabet no longer appears on the search screen, and only the number keys on the remote are active.  Great if you are searching for Pelham 123 but not much use for anything else. Tried the reboot but made no difference.  

Have Virgin made any progress with this issue or is the advice still to contact an engineer to have device replaced?

Thank you

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi fff1964,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a similar issue. Have you been able to do the checks/fixes that others have discussed in the previous posts such as resetting the TV Box?

Does the "OK" button on your remote work for other things, such as selecting a channel, or going into a specific tab?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ