cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV ethernet connection query

Sasuke92
Joining in

So my engineer fitted an ethernet connection between the Hub and the Virgin TV Box.

Does this mean I don't need to connect the tv to the router directly with another ethernet cable? I can just plug in my HDMI cable or do I need a 2nd ethernet cable to connect from tv to router to get the strongest connection?

I don't know what the connection between the Hub and TV box does.

6 REPLIES 6

asim18
Fibre optic

The connection between your Hub and Virgin TV box is so you can stream content using your Virgin TV box's apps. If your Virgin TV box doesn't have a coaxial cable feed, then the ethernet connection will be used to stream live broadcasts too.

Whether you plug your TV into the Hub depends on if you need to use any functions on your TV which require an internet connection. If you don't use any built in apps on your TV, and only watch content through your Virgin TV box then you won't need to connect your TV to the Hub.

A second ethernet cable will not make anything "stronger". They are both independent. The ethernet cable going to your Virgin TV box is providing an internet connection to your Virgin TV box. If you decide to use another ethernet cable to connect your TV to your Hub then that cable will be providing an internet connection to your TV only.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Sasuke92 

You don't need a second ethernet connection between your VM set top box and the hub, in fact the VM set top boxes only have one ethernet port.

If you have the VM Stream box then the ethernet connection from the Stream box to the VM hub will allow you to watch live TV carried over the internet, and also access apps and catch up services, that connection also updates the EPG and is also used to perform box updates. 

If you have a VM TV360 box then you need to attach the white coaxial  cable to that box as it allows you to watch live TV channels.  The ethernet connection between the hub and the VM TV 360 box allows you to access apps and catch up services, but it also updates the EPG and is also used to perform box updates.

If you have a good wireless signal then you could connect the VM Stream box and the TV360 set top box via wifi instead of using an ethernet cable.

If you have a smart TV then you can connect that to your VM either by ethernet cable or wifi so you can use the internet services on your smart TV.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One small point, but it has nothing to do with the VM connection. A lot of new TVs has inbuilt apps that use the internet as their connection and unless you use WiFi for this you will need an Ethernet cable from the TV to the VM hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

carl_pearce
Community elder

A cheap switch and a couple of short ethernet cables will allow you to connect both devices via ethernet, if required, rather than having to run an additional ethernet cable from the HUB (Any one of these should be fine):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP5TN4S

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-SG105-5-Port-1000-Switch/dp/B01LYER81B

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-SG105-5-Port-1000-Switch/dp/B09M2ZMTFX?th=1

I will be playing my PS5 so I'm guessing a 2nd ethernet cable would be needed for a good connection?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You guess right, wired always trumps wireless.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection