cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles - change font and size?

Noxin
Joining in

Just got a 360 box and successfully set up.  Regarding Subtitles I'm very disappointed in the font used looks very slightly out of focus.  Not very reader compatible and there's no option to change either the font or its size very disappointed.  Personally I would prefer a smaller font so as to see more of the picture at the same time.  Not used any other options yet so will have to see how it goes.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

9 REPLIES 9

tonasc
Joining in

It's awful isn't it, especially coming from the beautiful font Tivo uses. I feel like I'm back in the 90s on a ZX Spectrum.
Amazon video gives you a whole host of subtitle choices.

It always feels like us subtitle users are an after-thought.
Again, coming from Tivo where the remote had a dedicated subtitles button, it nows takes FIVE button presses to toggle subtitles. This is absolutely appauling user interface design. I really which I never "upgraded" from Tivo, but alas contract renewal gave no choice

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Noxin 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies for the issues you are having with the font sizing and its focus, I am afraid this cannot be changed. But we appreciate all feedback regarding areas where improvements can be made. Any surveys you receive from us will allow you to put any feedback and areas of improvement. 

Sabrina

I disagree.  It's something that developers could look at.  After all the blue button for example does nothing on the 360

Noxin
Joining in

Agree with the above, it used to be so simple by pressing 1 button for on and off.  And just because 1 person needs subtitles doesn't mean everyone else wants them on.  Upgrades are suppose to be just that and in this department at least it isn't.

You can switch subtitles on and off by pressing the info button, subtitles (if it's available) and select English to turn on or off to turn off, or you could just use use voice control and say subtitles on or off, again if it's available on that channel.

@tonasc wrote:

It's awful isn't it, especially coming from the beautiful font Tivo uses. I feel like I'm back in the 90s on a ZX Spectrum.
Amazon video gives you a whole host of subtitle choices.

It always feels like us subtitle users are an after-thought.
Again, coming from Tivo where the remote had a dedicated subtitles button, it nows takes FIVE button presses to toggle subtitles. This is absolutely appauling user interface design. I really which I never "upgraded" from Tivo, but alas contract renewal gave no choice

By far the simplest way to access subtitles on the 360 is to use the voice control and say 'subtitles'. I do agree about the font size. It's huge and ugly. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and even the BBC iPlayer have user-defined smaller and perfectly readable subtitles. I don't see why Virgin Media could not do something similar. Too much to hope for with the next software update?

Saying "subtitles" is still far more effort than the one button press it was previously. It also takes no account for the fact that deaf people aren't all able to speak clearly, making the microphone button useless. Not a problem for me, forunately, but even with normal speech, it can sometimes still take a couple of attempts.

In addition, with TiVo, subtitles off or on stayed with whatever you selected. Not any more. Every time you change channel, it will reset to the default for your profile. My family would look at me like an idiot if I start shouting "subtitles" every time I change the channel!

Even the most basic of interface design hasn't been considered. For exmple, If you press three dots, scroll down to to Subtiles, click Ok. It then has the currently active option (eg English or Off) as the one selected, thus necessitating yet another needless button press if you want to change. The active option already has a tick beside it, no need to make currently selected aswell.

This is fundamental stuff and demonstates to me that Virgin give no consideration whatsoever to the user experience and view it purely as marketing platform and to look "pretty" over function. Think about how you get to your recordings for example, five buttons after have to view their Home screen with their promotions.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have set up your own profile (or just want to use the default profile) you can set the sub titles to always be on

• Press the Home button on the TV box remote
  • Select Settings
  • Under the Accessibility option, navigate down to Subtitles. Please note that changing this setting impacts the active profile, and can be set differently for the shared profile or each personal profile
  • Press OK to turn subtitles on or off for the active profile

Also you can again can make use of the voice function and say "recordings" rather than having to press 5 buttons (or 4 if you scroll across in the opposite direction)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Completely agree with all told

Subtitles look like pile off rubbish over picture, and all this in 2023.

No desire to listen customers, and telling it is impossible,  than look into any APP on  that box.