cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps are Frustratingly Slow to Start

winegums
On our wavelength

I’m not technically minded but I’ve got a TiVo box with 200 mbps broadband.

my grandchildren like to watch things on YouTube and Netflix and they are frustratingly slow to load and sometimes time-out.  My granddaughter wanted to watch Gabbys Dollhouse on YouTube so I clicked on it and made a cup of coffee before YouTube loaded. Then when searching I had to wait at least 30 seconds between each letter. It took over 15 minutes to load YouTube and then get search results for Gabbys Dollhouse. Surely that’s not right? My tv is a brand new smart tv with only the home cctv recorder and TiVo box plugged into it. 
Any advice would be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The legacy TiVo box was first launched in 2010, it was never known for its speed with streaming apps but is now elderly and is being actively withdrawn. The newer V6 runs the same software but on much newer hardware - it's far quicker, has more recording tuners and many more apps than the older TiVo.

Be very aware of any sales pitch for the alternative TV360, it runs on the same box as the V6 but is very different software and fundamentally not TiVo. It is as different to TiVo as Android is to Apple - but is often badged as an upgrade in VM sales patter.

The TiVo has its own inbuilt modem and doesn't use your home broadband, unlike the V6/TV360 which rely on a connection via your home-hub for all the online functionality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The legacy TiVo box was first launched in 2010, it was never known for its speed with streaming apps but is now elderly and is being actively withdrawn. The newer V6 runs the same software but on much newer hardware - it's far quicker, has more recording tuners and many more apps than the older TiVo.

Be very aware of any sales pitch for the alternative TV360, it runs on the same box as the V6 but is very different software and fundamentally not TiVo. It is as different to TiVo as Android is to Apple - but is often badged as an upgrade in VM sales patter.

The TiVo has its own inbuilt modem and doesn't use your home broadband, unlike the V6/TV360 which rely on a connection via your home-hub for all the online functionality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

winegums
On our wavelength

Ah, I get it.  I upgraded the broadband speed thinking it would also help with the speed of the TiVo box. I didn’t realise that it has its own internal modem.

I've looked on the forums and there do seem to be issues with the V6 also.  Is it reliable ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, the V6 is very reliable. What are the issues you've seen reported?

winegums
On our wavelength

I’ve seen a couple of posts saying it’s slow and another one has said they are missing some channels since swapping to it. I guess though that people are only going to report problems so it will be the minority.  I’ll phone up and ask to swap to one. The technical came out to fit boxes in 2 of the bedrooms but couldn’t get them to work and said someone else will call out and do them. No-one came and I’ve phoned up a few times but still nothing. I’ve had them since June!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@winegums wrote:

I’m not technically minded but I’ve got a TiVo box with 200 mbps broadband.

my grandchildren like to watch things on YouTube and Netflix and they are frustratingly slow to load 

My tv is a brand new smart tv with only the home cctv recorder and TiVo box plugged into it. 
Any advice would be much appreciated

Since you have a smart TV and also M200 broadband with VM you should also consider connecting your TV to the internet, then you can make use of it's inbulit apps such as YouTube and netflix  which will defintely be faster than accessing those apps via your tivo box.

You should be able to connect the TV to the internet with either an ethernet cable or by wifi.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@winegums wrote:

I’ve seen a couple of posts saying it’s slow and another one has said they are missing some channels since swapping to it.

Missing channels can happen on all TV boxes, that's an account-specific issue.

Because the V6 runs TiVo-software, many users confuse the slow TiVo with the much quicker V6. The V6 runs the same hardware as the currently-sold TV360.