cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 in Modem mode with new router for ethernet - can I still plug my landline into Hub 3?

G-orgiana2
Just joined

My cable was recently repulled and I now have no copper based landline connection. An adaptor was supplied and fitted along with a back up telephone in case of power failure. ( The loss of the dual wired cable was a breach of contract which I am currently in negotiations about, as no one informed me that this was taking place.)

The telephone is now plugged into Phone 1 on the back of the Hub. it functions as expected. 

I want to use a wired connection for broadband and will be using my Hub3 as a modem and then connecting a new router and then enabling the router as a wired ethernet connection. 

My first question is can I continue to use my landline in this configuration? i.e with the phone connected to the Hub3 which will then be in modem mode. 

If not what remedies does Virgin media have?

Does anyone have a similar set up and what router do they use?

PS The Hub 3 does not deliver a strong connection hence my decision to buy my own router. 

My second query is about powerline adaptors. To reduce the length of ethernet cable needed I intend installing a powerline adaptor. If i do this does anyone know if my phone line will continue to function when plugged into the Hub 3 jack with the adapter installed adaptor?

many thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Residential VM Hubs offer a telephone service (from socket TEL 1) in both Router and Modem mode.

The Powerline adaptors will be attached to your Router's network sockets, they will work fine and do not have any affect on the telephone service.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Powerlines are really slow, you'll be lucky to get 100mb

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you were notified about the phone switchover, you should have been given a time-limited window when you could have cancelled VM with no early disconnection fees, if you wished to do so.

Powerlines will not give you fantastic speeds. When I used them I got about 90 Mbps at best.

You also need the powerline at the router end to be on the same electrical circuit at the PC end for best speeds. The powerline equipment needs to be plugged direct into a wall socket. Electrical 'splitter' sockets or spur connections on the electrical circuit will drop the powerline speed significantly.

If you are using a PC in a fixed location (such as a home office etc.) I would always suggest trying to get a permanent wired ethernet connection put in back to the hub. You will get full speeds that way. A local electrician or data/comm's tech or local computer tech etc. should be able to do that for you.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

@G-orgiana2 wrote:

PS The Hub 3 does not deliver a strong connection hence my decision to buy my own router. 

The hub 3 is good for M600 in a properly working system, and if you get much less than expected your own router will not help as it's just gettting a bridged broadband connection from the hub.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To clarify the last part of you post:

"To reduce the length of ethernet cable needed I intend installing a powerline adaptor. If i do this does anyone know if my phone line will continue to function when plugged into the Hub 3 jack with the adapter installed adaptor?".

Do you mean plugging the telephone adapter into a power line adapter and then the telephone into another power line adapter?

You cannot do this, the telephone uses RJ11 plugs/sockets which are smaller than the Ethernet RJ45 ones and not compatible. Ethernet cable in 8 core 4 twisted pairs on 2 wires and telephone is 4 core untwisted cable. 
Maybe I got your question wrong, maybe right. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2