cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to own a mobile phone with hub 3?

TomG1
Joining in

I recently got a new hub 3 from Virgin. My landline is connected to the hub.  I don't have a mobile phone so if there is a power outage I can't phone emergency services if I need to.  Is there any existing policy on this?

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM will offer vulnerable customers an emergency backup line (EBUL) which works on the mobile network for use when the landline is down.

Originally this was for contacting emergency services only but some customers have reported recent updates allow this to work as per the customers landline package (only via a mobile connection when the landline is down). Reports about this on here have been inconsistent so am not sure if this 'full access' EBUL is a new arrangement, a trial or a lucky fluke for some customers.

See the phone guide page 38

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

Client62
Legend

I wonder how many extended power cuts one can recall in the last few years.

To answer the specific question, the phone connected to the VM Hub requires both the mains power to be on an the Virgin Media network to be operating.  Note in most cable areas, the VM Street Cabinets are not protected against mains failure so even a UPS for your Hub + Phone may not be a solution.

The question of does my phone work during a power cut has been "no" in many households for years even on BT copper lines, this is because their phones are all cordless phones and the base unit needs mains power to operate. When this is pointed out we are frequently faced with total disbelief or a suggestion that as a landlord we should solve this issue.

Food for thought ... In the modern age, landline are looking very costly vs an entry level Samsung mobile.   

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Information also available in the Emergency backup line section here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks