cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inconsistent GIG speeds verified by samKnows

Miked2022
Joining in

Merry Christmas,

I have a Hub 4 and a GIG service and for months and months according to SAMKNOWS.COM/ realspeed our speeds have been very consistent at 1145mbps and my wired desktop 980Mbps. My 5ghz WIFI tablet shows 1144mbps and 280mbps. I have a few TAPO wired CCTV cameras but not uploading to the cloud, data is stored on a sd card. There are only 2 of us at home.

In September SAMKNOWS started to show declining speeds not 1145mpbps but as low as 1.02Mbps (1020kbps), about 1/1000 of the speed for which we pay. successful reboot of the hub 4 reinstated the speed to 1145Mbps, but as September went by I was rebooting every day. 

Last month it all got too much and I rang customer services after system tests at the time it showed that there was no network problems outside and my cctv cameras were blamed. I explained that data only flowed down the ethernet cables when accessed from my tablet or phone, so that would not explain. The customer services rep suggested the HUB4 was faulty and sent a new on in the post. It arrived, I installed it, changed the SSID to the original HUB to save the problem of reconfiguring the few wireless devices in the house. All was well for a few weeks and this week the same problem has returned. I have found that even after a reboot ( unplugged from the socket outlet for a minute or so and than switched back on) SAMKNOWS reports 1145Mbps but within an hour it shows the reading climbs to 1145Mbps but drops off very quickly and reports back 40- 50 Mbps.

I am at my wits end I am currently downloading from Microsoft ASOBO site 3 Flight simulator updates at 1.95Mbps. My phone using O2 data used as a hotspot can beat that. Is there an answer as VM technical support just texts saying there is no problem on the network. There is no real alternative to VM GIG so I have to persevere. I have had a good few years of consistent high speed but not any more. 

Michael Douglas

Liverpool

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Test hub in modem mode by wire PC if you get the same problem 

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Test hub in modem mode by wire PC if you get the same problem 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

We are all aware Samknows Realspeed reports up and down speeds to the Hub and to the Devices.

This post does it the absolute best to confuse the issue by not clearly sharing the screen shots of speeds at the Hub and at the various devices.

WorstISP
Up to speed

Hey Miked, I had the same issue and it took 4 months to get a network engineer out to fix it. You'll have to open a complaint the official way: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

After 2 months you can escalate to the Ombudsman. You'll need to have evidence of several consecutive days, so I recommend taking 2 speed-tests a day with samknows, every single day and keeping the screenshots together with dates.

Check the Minimum Guaranteed Speed term on your contract. DM me if you want any help with preparing your evidence or complaint, as I've been through the process for the exact same issues.

WorstISP
Up to speed

I should clarify, the techs don't know how to fix this issue you describe. I had 7 techs visit before they sent out somebody capable of figuring out the problem. Virgin actually like to send techs out just to wear you down rather than admit there's a genuine issue. Be prepared, transient issues like this are a nightmare to get Virgin to sort out.

Sorry to hear this WorstISP, I have taken a look and I can see you've been in contact with the team since this post have they managed to help at all?

We would only send a tech out to fix the issue we wouldn't send them for fun at all. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?