cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Pods / Sky Q Slow

deejaybenji
Joining in

Hi all,

We have Gig1 which is great, however in our bedroom our devices often switch back to mobile data, tried the connect app but it said it was fine when it's definitely not. 

How do we get the Wifi Booster discs please? 

Also secondly, Sky Q downloads are painfully slow on VM, taking something like 45/60 mins to download a show most nights, even though its UHD, the file shouldn't take that long on a Gig1 connection, our xbox and laptop get 600mbps in the room too. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @deejaybenji,
Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your WiFi connections. I can see your WiFi is congested and your 5ghz and 2.5ghz are at capacity, I will get some pods ordered, but I would advise having some devices connected via ethernet, as I can see you have none.
I will pop you over a PM keep an eye out for the little envelope 👀📩
Thanks,
Zoie

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A VM person will advise on pods soon.

Re SkyQ downloads... I am not familiar with that device but does it connect on the fast 5GHz band or is it perhaps only connecting on the slower 2.4GHz band?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I think it might be 2.4 GHZ as the tech is quite old now, 8 years nearly I believe - but still incredibly slow, and with BT before no issues like this. 

Had a friend who worked for Sky, said the tech doesn't play well with Virgin tech. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From memory it seems the Sky boxes work better when wired to the Hub, and not using Wifi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Agreed, would love to do that but sadly in a town house and access point could only be put in the front room we were told... *sigh*! 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @deejaybenji,
Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your WiFi connections. I can see your WiFi is congested and your 5ghz and 2.5ghz are at capacity, I will get some pods ordered, but I would advise having some devices connected via ethernet, as I can see you have none.
I will pop you over a PM keep an eye out for the little envelope 👀📩
Thanks,
Zoie

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As Zoie is saying she can see your wifi is in heavy usage - try Pods of course - but I suggest its time to consider ditching the VM Hub and getting your own router and wireless equipment that has actually been designed and built to handle multiple (~100) simultaneous connections on wifi (and ethernet)

A good hi spec Mesh system is a good place to start looking, e.g check out the TP-Link Deco range of sytems - one of those ought to solve the issues for once and for all.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.