cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss - any suggestions?

tintin_sailor
Tuning in

Hi there,

I'm experiencing major packet loss that is making my broadband useless for work.

Chart below of monitor shows it is constant, individual tests show that loss is around 10-20% 

tintin_sailor_0-1682325129587.png

I can also pinpoint the time it started on 8th April when I was away. 

tintin_sailor_1-1682325313869.png

Any suggestions about what to do? I've rebooted and jiggled cables so how do I progress? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A known fault affecting many homes gets more urgent attention that when it is just single customer issue.

Check in on the 0800 561 0061 number as the fault / fix progresses there may be updates to the message.

There is a "Check service status" link upper right on this forum page, but half of Colchester needs to be down before that link shows faults in this area.

We use a WiFi hotspot of a mobile phone as a short term Plan B in this situation.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Legend

The BQM graphs do not give is a clue why or where the issues occur.

How much packet loss is reported on this test ?

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats inc Packet Loss / Latency / Jitter etc.

Interesting - took 3 attempts to get this - lost connection twice.

tintin_sailor_0-1682326189631.png

Thanks!

The Realspeed test shows there is a serious problem with a lack of Upstream bandwidth.

This could be an issue affecting folks local to you.

Call 0800 561 0061 see if this automated service reports a known fault for your locality.

Remember you may have to be the first to report this fault.

For a second opinion on the upstream speed try : http://cloudtalk.speedtestcustom.com/

Thanks - it is known on the call line which I guess is good. What do I do now? Just wait? Is there any source of the time it will be likely fixed? I can't do work video calls at the moment, so it is becoming pressing. On the other hand I can just keep working in my PJs! 

Thanks for your help

A known fault affecting many homes gets more urgent attention that when it is just single customer issue.

Check in on the 0800 561 0061 number as the fault / fix progresses there may be updates to the message.

There is a "Check service status" link upper right on this forum page, but half of Colchester needs to be down before that link shows faults in this area.

We use a WiFi hotspot of a mobile phone as a short term Plan B in this situation.

Hi @tintin_sailor 

Welcome back tot he community forums

Sorry to hear you have service issues at this time. I have checked the systems and can see there is still an outage raised. You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

The estimated end date for this is 28th April 2023 at 12:00. 

Once the outage looks closed/fixed, please reboot your equipment and let us know if you have any further issues

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

tintin_sailor
Tuning in

Thanks for the update - still got the issue, so I will keep my fingers crossed for another 24 hours! 

Thanks for getting back to us @tintin_sailor 

We've checked again from our side and the outage is still there.  The new estimated fix date/time is 4th May at 3:00pm. I am sorry.  Please do get back to us after this new time and we'll have another look on your behalf.

Regards

Lee

tintin_sailor
Tuning in

Thanks - I've got a text saying that Fri 5th services will be disrupted due to essential works - do you happen to know if this is the same fix or something different to what is happening on the 4th? Thanks.