cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1Gb speed

Chrisdifer
Tuning in

Hello, 

I recently got the 1Gb line on a contract renewal. But I am not getting the speeds.

From the Hub 5 I have three Cat 7 ethernet connections going out from it (brand new cables). The first one in the same room is wired into my firestick, I ran the inbuilt speed test and got this 90 mb

20231204_160350.jpg

What I don't understand is the doing the hub speed test I get the following:

Screenshot_20231204_164259_VM Connect.jpg

 The second Cat 7 goes into a power line adapter, which I unplugged when I ran the test.

The third one goes to a TP Gigabit network switch which has two Cat 7 cables going into my PC and laptop respectively. The switch is also brand new. When I ran speed tests my laptop showed 500mb and my PC 350mb.

I'm only a couple of days in to my contract and I am struggling to understand what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

Firesticks use 10/100 (100Mbps) ethernet adapters, so 90Mbps is about right.

Run a speed test on your Windows devices in safe mode with networking to ensure no software issues:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-with-networking/

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

carl_pearce
Community elder

Firesticks use 10/100 (100Mbps) ethernet adapters, so 90Mbps is about right.

Run a speed test on your Windows devices in safe mode with networking to ensure no software issues:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-with-networking/

So far without safe mode 

20231204_195246.jpg

20231204_195246.jpg

carl_pearce
Community elder

Looks like you are trying to post images that have personnal info, like your Public IP address, which are being rejected.

Aha that makes sense, sorry new to this, plus was doing it via phone without my glasses on.

Speed test return is 477.5 Mbps not in safe mode. I looked up Windows 11 safe mode with networking, followed the instructions then it said I needed to search for an app in order to log in. I am not going to faff about doing that, this is a brand new laptop and there isn't that much stuff running on it that would slow it down that significantly, I am literally hitting below half the speed I should be getting. I will try it on safe mode w/ networking on my PC which is Windows 10 and does not have that awful need to be online to log on (Windows 11 is horrible)

Thanks for the help this far though, it is appreciated 

Technically there could be a hardware fault with the HUB 5 (It's been previously reported on here), however certainly worth checking if it's on the device side before getting VM out to check.

Also worth checking against other sites like the below:

https://proof.ovh.net/

Connection to server could not be established. You can try again in a few seconds.😂

So Windows 10 in safe mode with networking speed test returns:
ookla: 792Mbps
ovh: 940Mbps

Which is what I would expect.
Looks like I need to have a little dig into what is chewing up the bandwidth. 😪

Could be anti-virus.

If you access task manager, then the startup tab, you should be able to disable each application in turn, to rule each one out. A reboot in between is required.

AV is a bit more tricky as you generally can't just 'disable' it.