cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1Gb speed

Chrisdifer
Tuning in

Hello, 

I recently got the 1Gb line on a contract renewal. But I am not getting the speeds.

From the Hub 5 I have three Cat 7 ethernet connections going out from it (brand new cables). The first one in the same room is wired into my firestick, I ran the inbuilt speed test and got this 90 mb

20231204_160350.jpg

What I don't understand is the doing the hub speed test I get the following:

Screenshot_20231204_164259_VM Connect.jpg

 The second Cat 7 goes into a power line adapter, which I unplugged when I ran the test.

The third one goes to a TP Gigabit network switch which has two Cat 7 cables going into my PC and laptop respectively. The switch is also brand new. When I ran speed tests my laptop showed 500mb and my PC 350mb.

I'm only a couple of days in to my contract and I am struggling to understand what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

14 REPLIES 14

To be honest that was my first thought, I use the full suite of AVAST (anti tracker, anti virus etc) 

When you are on the faster broadband tiers AVs can be troublesome!

I hope you find the culprit.

Martyn
Up to speed

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Real speed is prob the best place to check speeds.

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Chrisdifer wrote:

<snip>   I will try it on safe mode w/ networking on my PC which is Windows 10 and does not have that awful need to be online to log on (Windows 11 is horrible)

Windows 11 Pro does not need to be online as it allows "normal" user accounts, not just online ones.  I would never use any of the Home versions of Windows.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Chrisdifer 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having some speed concerns. 

I can see that you have some really great support from the community that has helped narrow down the possible issue that is causing this. 

Please do keep us updated with what you have tried and found and we'll assist anyway we can to help you work towards a resolution. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley