cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a scam.

Christine2531
Joining in

I received a telephone call in landline saying my internet was being used from someone in California. They asked me to go on my mobile and download ANYDESK I was a bit suspicious they said they were from virgin media. I still was not convinced. I said I will call them back. The number I got from 1471 was 07984149xxx when I called this number it was voicemail with EE I think this is a scam. Can anyone enlighten me on this. I am bit worried.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes a 100% scam. Hopefully you did not download any software or allow them access to your devices.

The general format of the scam is that they try to convince you that you have a (fake) problem with your equipment/computer/connection.

The scammer offers to 'fix' the (fake) problem for you. To do this they say they need to take remote control of your computer.

They will typically ask you to download and install some remote control software.

Once you grant them access to your device, they will typically try to gain access to your online banking with a view to stealing money from you. Or they may try to steal personal information for the purpose of identity theft. Or they may simply lock your computer so you cannot gain access and demand a ransom to release it.

Best approach is simply to hang up on them when they call and not talk to them.

VM does not make unsolicited tech support calls like this. If you need to speak to VM for any reason, place an outbound call to the recognised support number(s).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes a 100% scam. Hopefully you did not download any software or allow them access to your devices.

The general format of the scam is that they try to convince you that you have a (fake) problem with your equipment/computer/connection.

The scammer offers to 'fix' the (fake) problem for you. To do this they say they need to take remote control of your computer.

They will typically ask you to download and install some remote control software.

Once you grant them access to your device, they will typically try to gain access to your online banking with a view to stealing money from you. Or they may try to steal personal information for the purpose of identity theft. Or they may simply lock your computer so you cannot gain access and demand a ransom to release it.

Best approach is simply to hang up on them when they call and not talk to them.

VM does not make unsolicited tech support calls like this. If you need to speak to VM for any reason, place an outbound call to the recognised support number(s).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I just love these type of scam calls. I talk to them for ages, say I’m installing what they and then say it will not install on my system, they keep on that it should and then I gently explain it’s a Mac. Unusually end up tying them it knots and wasting a lot of their time.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2