cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call from Virgin

Johnmor
Tuning in

I received a phone call today from Virginmedia regarding my ip address (I think) was being used by someone in USA, I was being walked through going onto google play to an app called quicksupport.

I ended the call before installing the app as I was not comfortable with doing this as it could lead to them viewing my details, would this have been a legitimate call from virginmedia or a scam?

One hears of so many scams now, it is hard to tell scam from true

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The call was a scam. You are describing the details of a common scam format.

The scammers pretend to be VM (or Amazon, Microsoft, BT etc.) and tell you that you have a problem with your broadband (or computer or online account etc.). They offer to 'fix' the (imaginary) problem by getting you to install some remote access software onto your device.

If you do this, the scammers will then aim to take control of your device to steal money from you (for example by accessing your online banking, stealing your personal info or locking you out of your computer and demanding a ransom etc.). Fortunately you did not install the remote access software and you ended the call.

None of these organisations will ring you up out of the blue for 'support' type of issues. If you want to check any such incoming call, find the correct published number for that organisation (not one the scammers give you) and place an outbound call yourself to query any possible issues, if you have any concerns.

The scammers will inevitably call you again (and may pretend to be another organisation). When they do, just hang up on them without talking to them.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The call was a scam. You are describing the details of a common scam format.

The scammers pretend to be VM (or Amazon, Microsoft, BT etc.) and tell you that you have a problem with your broadband (or computer or online account etc.). They offer to 'fix' the (imaginary) problem by getting you to install some remote access software onto your device.

If you do this, the scammers will then aim to take control of your device to steal money from you (for example by accessing your online banking, stealing your personal info or locking you out of your computer and demanding a ransom etc.). Fortunately you did not install the remote access software and you ended the call.

None of these organisations will ring you up out of the blue for 'support' type of issues. If you want to check any such incoming call, find the correct published number for that organisation (not one the scammers give you) and place an outbound call yourself to query any possible issues, if you have any concerns.

The scammers will inevitably call you again (and may pretend to be another organisation). When they do, just hang up on them without talking to them.

Thanks for this, glad I was sceptical