cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return a hub 3 router?

mbefc2005
Joining in

Do i need to return a hub 3 router?

I recently upgraded my router, but wasn't sent any return label,so just wanted to know what to do with my old router.

Do i dispose of it at my local recycling centre

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In theory, Hub 3's are no longer required back

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/return-or-recycle-equipment

In practice, the VM administrative machine occasionally sends out requests for obsolete kit under a threat of a penalty charge for failing to return as described in the occasional topic on here.

If you have only just swapped the hub, you should probably put the old Hub 3 in a cupboard for a month or two to see if VM sends out a random return instruction for it.

Clagmeister
Dialled in

I have a similar issue. My hub3 was upgraded to a hub5/360 package a few months back. The installation instructions were clear that a collect+ letter etc would be in the box if VM wanted me return the old equipment. No such instruction was in the box but there was a leaflet telling me how to recycle the old kit. This weekend I received a bland email from VM saying they had not received the Hub3. Fortunately, it is still in my cupboard and I have just requested a collect + return package via the 'my virgin media' app .My question is why has VM asked for a return at such a late stage and what would happen had I already disposed with the hub3 as per the guidance given in on the leaflet with the replacement Hub5/360?

mjpartyboy
Fibre optic

Hopefully my parents don't find themselves in this situation after leaving VM.

They left VM months ago and had two old TiVo boxes, a Hub 2ac, and a Hub 3 lingering around with no instructions or label received to return them, so after checking on the site and none of this kit meeting the return criteria, they disposed of it in the correct manner. I took pictures of all the kit before they did this.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This seems to be a recent email from VM, regarding returning equipment.  It was always the case for a long time that VM did not want any Hub 3's back.  However this new email is asking for exactly this.  Luckily I did keep my old Hub 3 and packaging ( did anyone say hoarder?) and it's now on it's way back to VM via Yodel.  I have taken the relevant photos and of course the proof of posting from the local Yodel (Collect +) store.

It will be interesting to see if this email is rescinded at some point?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mjpartyboy wrote:

Hopefully my parents don't find themselves in this situation after leaving VM.

They left VM months ago and had two old TiVo boxes, a Hub 2ac, and a Hub 3 lingering around with no instructions or label received to return them, so after checking on the site and none of this kit meeting the return criteria, they disposed of it in the correct manner. I took pictures of all the kit before they did this.

Apparently VMO2 want Hub3's returning again - From Sep 1st.  We dont know what will happen to those who have already disposed of it before that date.  I suspect that legally there in not much they can do in your case as they followed the current advice to recycle - so I would be relaxed about it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

My email arrived on 1 Sep. They must be clutching at straws given the earlier advice to recycle replaced Hub3 kit.