cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly switching from Openreach FTTP to Virgin

yadde
Joining in

Hi Folks,

I have questions about Virgin for anyone who has both it and Openreach availability.

We currently have FTTP through Openreach (1Gb). We can now get Virgin who can offer up to 2Gb with symmetrical speeds (i'm keen in faster upload than 100mb). I'd Likely go 1gb down and 1gb up.

When I got FTTP installed it was quite easy. Basically, it was all underground ducting and then came up at the side of the house into a little grey openreach box.

Will Virgin be cable to use this same trunking/underground ducting to the house? And then if so, I assume they would install a different fiber cable into the house?

Or would they be digging up a trench down through multiple nieghbours houses (we are at bottom of cul de sac)?

Finally, moving between Virgin and Openreach in the future (for whatever reason - I try to get best prices so shop around at end of contracts) how difficult is it to switch between networks when they both have direct cables to the house? Or do they both charge excesssive fees to switch "on" and "off" their services?

Thanks for the help. I've never actually been able to get Virgin before so have only ever had experience of using the openreach network.

3 REPLIES 3

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

No one can tell in advance if the existing duct can be used without an on site inspection. They'd probably use it if they could. 

Check if VM can actually provide you with the service you want. 2Gbps /symmetrical are very limited at present.

VM has a 18 or 24 month fixed contract, you can't switch with a penalty. After the contract expires you can leave on 30 days notice. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Client62
Legend

Verity you can start an online order for 1,000/1,000 or 2,000/2,000 Gb/s broadband on the VM website.

Be totally suspicious of any telephone sales person; especially one that offers to sell e.g. 1,000/100 initially and then to upgrade that to 1,000/1,000 once the service is live. Folks that have the XGS-PON service are reporting that upgrading from asymmetric to symmetric results in a great run around and not much progress.

XGS-PON is much newer to VM that FTTP is to BT / Openreach.  The service and knowledge is patchy, the Hub 5x supplied by VM does not yet support modem mode. When modem mode arrives it will be just out of beta testing at best.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey yadde, thank you for reaching out with your question.

Did any of the advice here help at all?

If you need any more questions answering our sales team will be able to help on 0800 183 1234 opened till 9PM Monday - Friday or Saturday - Sunday 8AM - 6PM. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?