cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other side of street can get BB but I can't

bigjim3
Tuning in

I was a long time Virgin/Telewest/Blueyonder customer for many years until I moved house last year. My side of the street has no access to any fiber or broadband from Virgin or other supplies despite the other side of the street having full access. The virgin green box is even on the end of my street, a 30 second walk from my house.

There are approx 60 houses right next to the box that cannot get virgin which makes no sense to me. How can I find out if virgin will ever connect us and what's stopping them? I'm stuck with 5g broadband which is awful. I'd happily sign up to virgin today if I could, as would most of my neighbours.

Can any community mods share any insight as to what's stopping virgin connecting us?

7 REPLIES 7

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi bigjim

Welcome to the Community Forums! Sorry to hear you're struggling to get our services at your new property. We'll be more than happy to arrange for a spotter to come out to take a look.

I've popped you over a private message so I can take your details.

If you're using a desktop version of the Community Forums, you'll be able to find my message at the white envelope in the top right. If on a mobile device, you can access your messages by clicking on your profile picture and going to 'messages'.

Thanks!

Beth

bigjim3
Tuning in

It's now 21/9/23 and I've still not heard anything, I'm guessing this spotter didn't feel like coming out?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for the issues faced bigjim3.

To clarify has the team now advised that the address is now serviceable?

From what was raised with our team via forums, did the local squad contact you at all?

Regards,

Kain

bigjim3
Tuning in

@kain_W It's now 14/11/23 - no one has contacted me. Seems crazy that Virgin aren't bothered about gaining a load of new customers? Honestly ever neighbour I've spoken to would jump at the chanch to get Virgin Broadband.

Is there no one who can even tell me why we can't get it? There's at least 60 houses here and the other side of the street can get it...

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's very likely that the capacity of that cabinet is full or nearly so. It certainly won't supply 60 new houses.  Any significant expansion to that area would be very expensive. If VM had any intention of doing this you would have heard by now. 

Is Openreach about to provide fibre to your postcode?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Sadly not. Their site says fibre might come sometimes in the next 3-5 years.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi BigJim3, 

Thanks for coming back to us about this, we are sorry the surveyors have not contacted you about this yet. 

Unfortunately, we've done all we can on our side for this particular issue, it's now down to whether the infrastructure can be installed in your street. 

Sorry for the frustration this may cause, we appreciate you're really interested in getting our service!

Thanks,

Megan_L