cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare time with capped speed.

arochi1
Joining in

Around 4 weeks ago I noticed that my 350mbps line had dropped significantly to around 35mbps. Contacted VM to complain. My wife works from home and was having a nightmare trying to connect to and stay connected to her work server. The more devices we connected the speed would drop to around 3mbps. VM told me there was a fault in the area and to give them 24/48 hrs to sort. This lasted 2 weeks. Raised official complaint on their website, wanted out of my contract. Tried to charge me £400 to cancel (13 months left on it as we just renewed few months back) quoted ofcoms broadband guarantee to them, we now have ofcom testing the speeds on the router which they say could last 30 days. Only when they test and confirm we aren’t receiving at least half of what we signed up for can we get out of the contract without a fee. This has been a disaster and my first experience of just how bad their customer service is. Just getting to speak to someone is a joke. New bill for this month came in today, of course full price for 350mbps which we haven’t had for a month. I run random speed tests throughout the day and have noticed at some periods it shoots up to over 500mbps! Lasts about 30 mins then drops back to 35. Will keep you posted when we hear back from ofcom. Thanks for reading.

4 REPLIES 4

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

so are your speed tests wired or wireless - there is no guarantee of wireless speeds afaik - so you need to know if the wired speeds are as bad - if so fair enough and that needs looking at - you seem not to have had much help from VM - nothing new there or have you asked and had an engineer to look at things - you dont say on that - ofcom can test but [again] afaik to leave with no penalty you must give VM chance to sort things

thees no mention of levels t the hub - log into it and post the results

going back to wired or wifi - the problem could simply be how you have things set up - give some ideas on what you have and how things are set up 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Client62
Legend

First call 0800 561 0061 - use the automated service to see if there is a local service issue.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.
The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilities.

Do share a screen shot of the full test ( showing the Hub + Device and the Up / Down speeds )

TableTop
Up to speed

OFCOM are absolutely NOT monitoring your speed, even if they wanted to, which they don’t as it’s not part of their remit, they simply don’t have the technical ability to do so.

Everything you were told by customer services was a lie, it kicked the issue into the long grass, got you off the phone, gained VM at least an additional month of revenue, and when (mysteriously), you don’t get any sort of report from OFCOM (because they have no idea who you are) and you call VM again to complain, we’ll that’s someone else’s problem!

So as per the advice in other posts below, is this over WiFi or a wired connection, post up the hub’s stats, etc.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey arochi1, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

With the Ofcom speed this does last 30 days and they do monitor the speed to see what you are getting this is an in-depth test.

Once this has been completed you will find out the results so please do keep us updated whilst this is happening we wouldn't do anything with the bill.

We also only guarantee our speeds via cable only not WIFI. 

You can find out more here  Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?