cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabling of Street - Missed area?

TamerUK
Tuning in

Hi

Wasnt sure where else to post this or send it, but essentially I was trying to speak to someone about when or if my street is going to be cabled for Virgin's services, my entire estate has been cabled apart (even up to the house next to my road it seems),  from one street which is being done next week, but I see no plans or planning permissions going in for my street at all? 

Can anyone here assist at all?

Braybrook Close, Swanwick - Areas in Green are now cabled I believe, orange scheduled but were left lagging behind currently.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 131326.png

10 REPLIES 10

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From data on Google Earth it looks as if there is no pavement in your close. This would mean that VM would have to install the entire infrastructure under the road. This would result in a significant increase in their build costs for a very small number of houses being passed. Bear in mind that VM do not have any kind of Universal Service Obligation, so unlike Openreach, they are not obliged to connect every household in an area.

Take a look down the road from you in Boughton Drive, where half the houses are passed & half not, no doubt for the same reason.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Nobody is going to dig through paving stones. The time to do digging was when the houses were being built. You might get fibre from Openreach later.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

TamerUK
Tuning in

I did mean to add some additional information later in the day but I had to rush to a site for work, my understanding (based on what were told in a letter for wayleaves) is we already have sufficient underground infrastructure for cabling to be pushed through to each property on the street as our houses were plumbed underground at the time of building, it should just be a matter of threading the necessary cabling then some minor work at the property end. There is also under ground infrastructure at the end of the 2 streets mentioned which has had work done to it by Virgin Media already (this was a solid 2-3 months ago). But we still cannot order? So if that's the case, why were virgin blocking our streets for work to be carried out?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is where it gets complicated. If there is shared ducting already it will have been put in by Openreach. In that case there needs to be an interchange built where VM can cross over to the existing Openreach ducting.

Also bear in mind that the groundwork is just the first part of the build. There is extensive work to be carried out at the headend before services go live in a new area.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You can be sure that VM made a conscious decision to omit that road. It won't have been missed by accident, and the conditions then will still apply today. 

Have you checked when Openreach will be putting in FTTP to your postcode?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yeah I have, anytime between now and 2026 basically. So that's why I am keen to get more information on it. I work hybrid on Networks for NHS sites and working from home is insanely painful to the point I am considering Starlink. On a good day we get around 32Mb down, 3.2Mb up around here.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Note that although VM has on occasions used Openreach's ducts and poles, this is only done in VM's fibre areas. If your near neighbours have coaxial cable coming into their houses, then you are out of luck.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

IPFreely
Fibre optic

So the dig in Moulton Close is just to one property. It looks as thought they were planning on using Openreach duct to get there but couldn't so are building about 6 metres of duct off their own.

They show Moulton Close as being able to order alongside most of the estate. Another company, Full Fibre Ltd, have also covered much of the estate.

I reckon there are some major issues with the Openreach network in your street and that's why both Full Fibre and Nexfibre have skipped it. I reckon there are also issues in Moulton Close and Nexfibre have just found them when attempting an install, hence the additional works.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

If your near neighbours have coaxial cable coming into their houses, then you are out of luck.

Google street view shows no VM infrastructure, but the overhead clearly shows installation of new micro-ducting on all the pavements. Where the pavements end on the roads mentioned, so does the ducting.