cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cab i get VM alongside my current FTTP ?

Chrisl87
Joining in

Hi there 

im new to the forum but was just looking for some clarification on two connections.

I currently have Openreach FTTP 900/115 installed at my home and was also considering getting VM 1gig for the symmetrical UP and Down as my area has just had a rollout of VM / XGS-PON / nxtfibre apparently not so long ago.

I was recently browsing the vm site and today an rep from VM turned up at my door asked for me and stated id been looking on the site and if i would like to switch.

I stated that i was considering getting a second connection mainly for the upload speed otherwise im still very happy with my current FTTP from openreach as one connection would be for the house users, gaming etc and the second would be used soley for me as i upload alot and also have my sites projects etc from home on my own servers.

He stated well i wouldnt need two connections would pay my existing remaining contract and do a good deal but he left his card and left.

Now my main question with me wanting to keep my existing FTTP on the Openreach network would i be able to order Virgin Media and have that installed alongside my current connection ? as last thing i would want is them to disconnect my current fibre and use that cable as a pull cord (assuming overhead drop line) 

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Chris.

12 REPLIES 12

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM uses its own connection, so you can certainly have both in parallel if you can afford it.  But are you sure VM can provide you with symmetrical 1Gbps at your address? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Chrisl87
Joining in

Hi there

thanks for the reply,

looking on their website im actually able to get gig2 and also add the symmetrical addon to all packages via customisation, i also entered my old postcode where i lived 10 years ago where they have had VM for years but limited to gig1 with no option for symmetric addons.

Id assume id be on the new tech and able to get symmetric ?

thanks again,

Chris.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Some reports suggest 2Gbps rollout and symmetrical is very limited so far.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Chrisl87
Joining in

the rep did say it was symmetric and it was around august 2022 was when i got my leaflet stating they were in my area and that was actually when FTTP from openreach was enabled also.

looking on the bidb is enabled and on the think broadband map and clicking Virgin Media Retail coax/rfog/nexfibre / nexfibre XGS-PON wholesale FTTP its at my home 

so would that there say its a full network as the site says at the bottom of main page Addon Available only in Virgin Full Fibre areas. Excludes Essential Broadband

very confusing to say the least but id assume its full fttp area as the map is covered in dots and hearing the how live chat can be patchy id rather ask here just dont want to risk ordering and be stuck with 200mb upload and or lose this connection in the process.

Thanks again,

Chris.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Suggest you browse this forum for 2Gbps reports - not many so far. 

- jpeg1

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Another consideration is the Hub 5X does not have modem mode at present, so you can't use a DualWAN Router.  You will have to run your Openreach kit and VM kit as two separate entities.  

The Openreach cables etc will be separate from the VM XGS-PON so I would say your existing connection will not be cut off.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Currently VM provides XGS-PON on nexfibre's network, and VM's own XGS-PON should be available from 2024 in some areas. You can get symmetrical on all speed tiers by paying an extra £6pm.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Chrisl87
Joining in

thank you for the replies

the sales rep was seemingly trying to push me to order i was just puzzled VM asked him to knock on my door as id only been browsing the site knew my name etc was weird 

I currently use my opnsense box for my current connection with dual 1gb intel lan and 2 2.5gb cards and a router as a WIFI AP upgraded all my internal network to 2.5gb much better 

Its peace of mind knowing that i can possibly just place an order and they wont touch my current connection just with the rep stating he would contact my current provider put me off as i dont want that to happen.

Thanks again

Chris.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'd need to supervise the new installation though, because it's not unknown for an existing cable to be cut to allow the installer to use the same hole in the wall. 

- jpeg1