cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi signal strength fluctuates

Smiley_Neil
On our wavelength

The wifi signal strength from our Hub 3 fluctuates significantly frequently, causing very poor wifi to devices around the house, and complaints from the family to me. What can be done about this?

I've used Ookla Speedtest from various devices throughout the day and bandwidth varies from 270Mbps to suddenly dropping to 28Mbps or on occasion down to 4Mbps. It's not a problem with the broadband, as I have a desktop PC connected via ethernet to the router and that stays at a stable 270Mbps. The problem seems to be with devices connected via wifi.

Using Wifi Analyzer on my phone I can see that the VM wifi is mostly strong, at about -25 dBm for 2.4Ghz, but that it can suddenly drop off the bottom of the chart (worse than -100 dBm). There is no other wifi signal sharing the channel (channel 7). I can see that neighbours have wifi but they are on channel 1 or 11, and with strength no better than -80 dBm. Most of the family's devices are on 2.4Ghz but it doesn't appear to be a clash of channels.

I've moved some devices to 5Ghz, where the signal strength hardly varies, staying around -40 dBm and with only one neighbour on 5Ghz. That seems to give a more stable connection for me but devices that rely on 2.4Ghz still see drop-off of wifi periodically.

I have run a Speedtest on the desktop PC whilst the wifi signal has disappeared and it still gets 270Mbps, connected via ethernet.

The router is in a bedroom and whilst it is next to the desktop PC there are no other devices near it. The problem occurs even when the PC is switched off. There is no microwave near it, nor any cordless phones or other devices that I know might cause issues with wifi. The only thing left on near it is a TP-Link WPA4220 powerline extender, connected via wire to the router and plugged into a power socket.

I've tried setting Channel Optimisation turned on and off on the Hub 3, with the same results.

So what would cause 2.4Ghz wifi to drop off on a Hub 3?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You havent specifically said... but have you tried separating the two SSID's completely by renaming them ?  If not... try that first with channel optimisation "off".

If they are separated and problem remains - you should seriously consider taking control of your own wifi by using modem mode for the Hub and your own better quality router and wifi equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

TP-Link WPA4220 is a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi device, ( we have 2 ) set the Hub 3 and the WPA4220 to different channels to avoid a clash of signals.  On the 2.4Ghz band we use prefer to use channels 1 or 6 or 11.

Client62
Legend

For comparison these are our Hub 3 WI-Fi settings, we don't have a split SSID and the 2.4 Ghz band is very stable when configured as follows ...   ( with the two WPA4220 using Channels 1 and 6 ).

Wireless Security

Client62_0-1680359554768.pngClient62_0-1678622112364.png

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Smiley_Neil thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here regarding your connectivity. 

We've ran some checks and all levels do appear to be within specifications, how are things via a wired connection please, are you receiving appropriate download speeds via this method?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Smiley_Neil
On our wavelength

Thanks folks.

@jbrennand, the SSIDs have different names and channel optimisation is off. So not that, unfortunately.

@Client62, the TP-Link devices are using channels 2 and 3, whilst the Hub 3 is on channel 7, so not that either.

@Tom_W1, as above, the wired connection is fine and normal. I don't think the issue is the broadband connection, just the wifi signal from the Hub 3. If everything is in specification and there are no clashes on the channel, or devices nearby that could cause the issue, then there appear to be 2 possible conclusions:

1. The Hub 3 has developed a fault with wifi and needs to be replaced.
2. As suggested above, I should buy a better wifi router and just use the Hub as a modem.

Do you see any other alternatives?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil, thanks for your reply here.

There are many customers that do use their own routers and run the Hub in Modem Mode, but also many do like the WiFi offerings our own Hub gives.

However, we can only replace the Hub when there is a confirmed fault on the line and at the time of writing, this doesn't appear to be the case.

We'd recommend trying further troubleshooting here and also using our helpful too the Connect App too.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For reasons explained in a pinned post that has just disappeared (!!) 2.4 GHz should only use Channels 1,6, or 11 - so, try moving your devices to one of those - that is least used at your locations

EDIT: Pinned post is back...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Smiley_Neil
On our wavelength

Thanks both.

@jbrennand, I had it on ch6 yesterday and moved it to ch7 today. Thanks for the link, I'll put it to the least used of 1, 6 or 11. Unfortunately that doesn't stop it dropping off, so I guess it's time to invest in a wireless router and put the Hub in modem mode. Not sure where to start on that, (and haven't a clue about mesh) but I guess I'll find some reviews.

Thanks @Tom_W1, I'll try the app and perhaps a new wireless router.

Client62
Legend

Some Wi-Fi Routers to browse : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/explore/wifi-router/

On the 2.4Ghz band even 20Mhz signals spread over almost 4 channels each as shown below.
This is why it is critical to only select 20Mhz channel width and to use Channel numbers 1, 6 or 11.

Client62_0-1688572159217.png