cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Connect Band Selection

Ish24
Tuning in

Hi,

I’m getting VM gigabit package next week and will getting the WiFi pods too. Does anyone know if I can choose what band I want the devices to connect to on the VM connect app? 

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4

carl_pearce
Community elder

No, technically you can do it from the HUB itself by splitting the SSID (Network name) into two, one for each band.

However, if you are using pods I believe you must retain the 'Smart' WiFi settings, where one SSID combines both bands.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See if anything in message 5 in this thread helps to connect Pods…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-boosters-needed/m-p/5122436#M497217

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

asim18
Fibre optic

I personally wouldn't touch VM's "pods" with a bargepole. Heavily "locked down", non configurable, proprietary devices loaded with mangled firmware.

I always use networking equipment from reputable chinese/taiwanese networking brands such as Asus, TP-Link, Huawei, D-Link, DrayTek.

Client62
Legend

If split SSID are your goal, do not install the VM Connect on any of your mobile devices.

The Connect app appears to have 1 mission in live that is to merge the SSIDs of the Hub and to re-enabled Wireless Optimization, this is done for compatibility with the VM Pods but is often quite the opposite of what a customer wishes to do especially if they are dealing with connecting 2.4GHz IoTs & Wi-Fi Printers.