cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 5 or 5x - modem mode or WiFi off

THEGRIFF24
Tuning in

So I've joined Virgin media. My fixed line speeds locally have been 15mbs and so I've been using 5g broadband via Three with good speeds, however their network is pretty unreliable.

I believe I'm getting FTTP via XPON, there's a large black box on the nearest pole.

Does this dictate what router you'll get the 5 or 5x.

I've been using a Deco mesh in access point mode , so no real need for modem mode, but on my 5g router I have disabled WiFi which is recommended for access point mode. 

On the Hub 5 I've read that WiFi keeps coming back on if disabled. Can you disable WiFi on the 5x and does it suffer the same problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode Wi-Fi is enabled + two Wi-Fi Access Points = 3 APs in total.

For a Wi-Fi Mesh in Access Point mode there is no technical reason why
the VM Hub 5x (or GSM Router) can not also operate its Wi-Fi giving one more Wi-Fi 6 AP for free.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

It's difficult to make out what you're asking.  You have a Hub 5x if there is fibre going into the back of it.  You have a Hub 5 if coax cable goes into the back.

If the box on the pole feeds your house with the VM service, then it's fibre.

Once we know what you've actually got, then we can deal with your other questions about WiFi and Modem Mode.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

You don't really need to know what I've got. I'll find out on the 23rd when it's installed. My question relates to the WiFi functionality of the 5 or 5x, namely if WiFi is turned off, does it come back on...I've read posts that on the 5 it does and wondered if the same is true of the 5x. Ideally when using a mesh in access point mode, you should disable WiFi on the router as well.

fibreking
On our wavelength

Large black box on pole = fttp = Hub 5x. The Hub 5 is for coax.

In my remarks, I was bearing in mind that every pole has a black box (or two) on top - certainly if the pole serves several houses.  The box either holds the fibre trays or the copper distribution points.  The OP's original post was somewhat unclear to me.

As to the modem mode question, the silence from the Hub 5x sub-community on this forum should be noted.

Client62
Legend

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode Wi-Fi is enabled + two Wi-Fi Access Points = 3 APs in total.

For a Wi-Fi Mesh in Access Point mode there is no technical reason why
the VM Hub 5x (or GSM Router) can not also operate its Wi-Fi giving one more Wi-Fi 6 AP for free.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

From the experience posted on here with the 5x, you can turn off the WiFi but not the router function. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yes, that's a possibility, although if you have a good mesh system, there's a lot of advice out there to turn off the router WiFi to reduce channel interference, increase bandwidth etc.

Client62
Legend

You minimize channel interference by using fixed channels on both bands & choosing sensible channel bandwidths just as we do when installing Wi-Fi in a large office or hotels / airports where there are many Wi-Fi APs.

On the 2.4GHz band only use channels 1,6,11 and repeat this as a grid in your home or office,
the best practice for 2.4GHz is to stick to 20MHz of bandwidth to avoid channel overlap with your own network.

On the 5GHz band there are more channels, so it is a bit easier + the coverage range is less. Choose the bandwidth that meets your needs i.e. there is no value in selecting super wide channels if you don't have PCs etc with multi antenna wireless cards capable of bonding 80 or 160 MHz of channel width.

Good advice.  By turning off WoiFi on the Hub, providing your own solution, you avoid the nightmare of “Smart WiFi” or “WiFi Optimisation” that VM have implemented.  Conspiracy theory suggests that this has been deliberately implemented to cause channel switching just when you don’t want it because your neighbour has just alighted on a channel you are using.