cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 2 upgrade to 3 (4 and 5 not available) - get 3rd party router?

Davio
Tuning in

I have a SuperHub 2 (12+ years old). I just contacted Virgin for an upgrade - told that SuperHub 4 is sold out and version 5 not available, so I'm receiving a SuperHub 3.

As far as I understand 3 = DOCSIS 3.0 and I was hoping for DOCSIS 3.1 (much better latency for gaming?).

Is it worth using the SuperHub 3 in modem mode and getting an upgraded 3rd party router? Would this bring measurable performance improvement?

TIA.

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Legend

Latency occurs for 3 main reasons: distance to server / game server overload / network congestion.
These are all items that are outside of your control & can be far beyond the VM network.

That's the simplified version, reality is more complex... https://www.hitrontech.com/blog/proven-docsis-3-1-is-better-than-docsis-3-0/

Also, other factors - e.g. "A DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem can now utilize a sleep mode, thereby enabling intelligently timed shutoff periods for improved efficiency."

In other words, Virgin is burning my electricity unnecessarily by supplying a modem router with an obsolete networking system.

3.0 = 2006

3.1 = 2013

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you add your own router you will have a much bigger increase in consumption. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Obviously. But is the performance improvement worth it? Data?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Their will be no performance improvement just that you have a better router, and wifi and better bufferbloat control 

Docsis latency from 3.0 to 3.1 will not change you still be limited to how well the area is which you can use BQM to check

---------------------------------------------------------------

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The hub 3 supports DOCSIS 3.1 and is good for M600, so you are getting a suitable hub.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The hub 3 supports DOCSIS 3.1 and is good for M600, so you are getting a suitable hub.

The Hub 3 is DOCSIS 3.0 only, but the difference in latency between 3.0/3.1 is negligible on VM's network.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Oops, I knew the old hub 3 only supports DOCSIS 3.0 and don't know why I made a wrong post. The hubs which support DOCSIS 3.1 are the later hub 4 and hub 5. If you're getting a hub 3 it means that you've subscribed to a speed up to M600.

Having said that, if you're on up to M600 and you have a hub 4 or a hub 5 VM can provide a DOCSIS 3.1 channel both on downstream and upstream for better network performance.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection