cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple modem (Hub 3) issues recently

owenvoke
Tuning in

Hi,

I keep getting intermittent outages over the last few months. Checking online with the status checker mentions that there are no issues in our area (which I understand only applies to there being a major outage). Checking the modem (Hub 3), it mentions that there is no ranging response. I've previously contacted Virgin about this, and they've sent over an engineer, as well as submitting a complaint, where they said it was a temporary issue with the area that had been resolved.

Because I've had this issue happening every now and again over the past few months, I set up a BQM which is available here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2a8bc283cb775d5e867e095a335a93b8c9...

Yesterday, when the issue happened, I requested an engineer for Friday. The internet seemed to have restored itself this morning so I cancelled the appointment, however it's happened again. I'm reluctant to request another engineer slot, as last time I had to pay the £25 fee as they said there was no issue while they were here.

I also have a Ubiquiti router set up internally, which is complaining that the Virgin connection regularly experiences high latency or packet loss.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into these outages, and whether there's anything that can be done to prevent them as they cause issues as I work from home and require an internet connection.

The modem status details are as follows, which as you can see the upstream channels seem to be stuck updating and remain empty (even after leaving it for 30 minutes).

Cable Modem Status

ItemStatusComments
Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranging
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
undefined
Provisioning State

Downstream bonded channels

Channel
Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)SNR (dB)ModulationChannel ID
1451000000-138256 qam40

Downstream bonded channels

ChannelLocked StatusRxMER (dB)Pre RS ErrorsPost RS Errors
1Locked38.930371

Upstream bonded channels

ChannelFrequency (Hz)Power (dBmV Symbol Rate (ksps)ModulationChannel ID

Upstream bonded channels

ChannelChannel TypeT1 TimeoutsT2 TimeoutsT3 TimeoutsT4 Timeouts

If there's any further information or logs I can provide to assist with this, please let me know.

My Broadband Ping - Home
14 REPLIES 14

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do a full factory reset as below.  VM will not give support to the Hub when in modem mode.

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

Once this is done, reset your BQM for the new Router mode IP.  This will give evidence to get a tech out. The existing BQM is terrible and there is a fault for sure. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

owenvoke
Tuning in

Of course 5 minutes after I post, the upstream locks and it seems to have restored the internet connection. I'll do as you suggest and try a factory reset though to hopefully get a tech out. 👍 Do you happen to know why they don't support people using modem mode?

I've factory reset the Hub 3, and updated my BQM with the Router Mode IP address, and I'll leave it to collect some data.

My Broadband Ping - Home

Client62
Legend

Kind of looks like a service fault in your street, try 0800 561 0061 it is an automated service for local faults.

If you login to the Hub 3 admin menu at http://192.168.0.1/  in the section Your Hub 3.0 status on the first page, what is shown for Internet ( ?????? )

It's was showing "Modem mode". Now (as I've factory reset to Router mode), it's showing "Online". I'm not sure what it was showing when the internet was out.

I've called the automated fault line and it says there are no local issues.

My Broadband Ping - Home

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM don't support modem mode as it this mode the Hub is doing nothing really as all functions are disabled.  It's just a bridge.  When in Router mode they can run tests across the functions of the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi

What functions of the Hub can they test that they can't test in modem mode?   Please don't say WiFi and Pods because the user doesn't need any of that from the Hub 3 in modem mode.  

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

It's unusual for Adduxi to get something wrong.  But when the Hub is in modem mode, it is doing the most important thing:  Connecting the OP's router to the Internet.  The illustrious Forum Team can check all of the performance parameters that concern the circuit's ability to deliver to the external router.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sephiroth 

Yes I’ll hold my hands up. I’ve no real idea about VM “tests” on the Hub. Just applying flawed logic as to why they need Router mode. 😂

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Glad you held your hands up!   The Forum Team waste a lot of peoples' time with all this pinhole reset nonsense and putting the Hub into router mode.  I really don't want to see VIPs trotting out the Virgin Media line.

There's nothing that a pinhole reset can do that a simple power reset cannot achieve.

The Forum Team is useful when you've got them to send a tech to deal with a customer's problem.