cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I needed to stay ahead of Virgin (sarcasm)

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I got the Intel AX200 (WIFI6/BT5.2 (after update) in Sep 2019.

I got the AX210 (WIFI6E/BT5.3 (after update) in Nov 2020.

This week I now have the Intel BE200 WIFI7/BT5.4

So even with a HUB5 VM have just gotten around to WIFI6 not even 6E never mind 7 anytime soon.

2023-11-16 (1).png

2023-11-16 (3).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Luddites need not panic!

Windows 11 24H2 is required for Wi-Fi 7, not version 24H1

Windows 11 24H2 is required for Wi-Fi 7, not version 24H1 (winaero.com)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Cardiffman282
Super solver

I'm sure VM will soon supply a free pod that will support your 5.8 Gbps max wifi speed. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

jhuk
Trouble shooter

TBH I got it for the features that will come with BT5.4 and a few new BT 5.4 earbuds are about to launch,

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I just got the notification via email for your reply above (7 days lol).

The best things in life are well worth revisiting 👍

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

asim18
Fibre optic

I really hope VM and other major ISPs don't start supporting WiFi 6E/7 any time soon.

History

I remember back when WiFi wasn't provided by ISPs. What an amazing time. 802.11g was absolutely fantastic. The airwaves were clear and WiFi was great. Scanning for WiFi networks, only mine in the area 😄

Then ISPs started handing out their silly "Hubs". BT, VM all the big players. WiFi gradually became terrible because the WiFi APs weren't being installed properly. I could pick up BT and VM access points from the other side of the road. Access points 100 meters away! Could see 20 access points which I should never have been able to see!

Then 5Ghz wifi came out. Great, another couple years of WiFi bliss before the major ISPs catch up. Then VM comes along with "Pods" and starts flooding entire areas with unnessasary interference. I can now pick up 50 access points and the 5Ghz band has been completely ruined. What a disaster.

Dear VM, please stay away from wifi 6E/7. Please.

Also, Bluetooth audio is atrocious. OK for low quality phone calls but that's about it. Listening to Music, CDs or watching TV/Movies, absolutely horrendous. Analogue headphones with a proper DAC is where it's at. Even a cheap £10 pair of headphones with a £50 DAC can blow a £600 pair of bluetooth headphones out the water.

BT Audio is just part of the "Wireless Fad", like wireless charging.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM's hub 5 and hub 5X support WiFi 6 and I see no reason for any upgrades in the foreeable future. I'd expect the next TV or Stream box to support WiFi 6.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Luddites need not panic!

Windows 11 24H2 is required for Wi-Fi 7, not version 24H1

Windows 11 24H2 is required for Wi-Fi 7, not version 24H1 (winaero.com)