cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet sockets suddenly stopped working (wifi working)

andrew100
Joining in

Hi, All ethernet sockets on our Hub 3.0 suddenly stopped working 2 days ago. Wifi is working fine. We initially tried switching it off and on again, and different ethernet cables. We've also done four resets by pushing the reset button for 60 seconds each time, but this hasn't resolved the problem. Sometimes the LEDs near all 4 ethernet sockets light up continuously, even without anything plugged in.

Is there anything else we could try?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

Turn the Hub 3 off as you go to bed, in the morning call customer support early and report it is totally dead.

Customer Support are on 150 or 0345 454 1111 from a non-VM phone.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey andrew100,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your router at the moment, is this still happening right now or have the issues been resolved for you?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L, Unfortunately it's still happening.

The only thing you can possibly do is a full factory reset, which you claim to have already done a couple of times with no effect, therefore it is fairly obvious that the Ethernet switch portion of the hub has failed and the whole thing will need to be replaced.

The advice from Client62 above is based on the idea that if you call Customer Services and report the fault, they will check that they can ‘see’ the hub therefore all is OK, at best they will tell you to turn it off and on again, or they have ‘sent some signals’ to it, give it 30 minutes and all will be well, if not then call back. They will then have closed the call are ‘resolved’ and, naturally when you do call back it’s ‘someone else’s problem’. We already know that the basic connection to the hub is fine as the WiFi is working, remember that whatever they say, the CS agents quite literally cannot tell if the Ethernet ports are working or not.

So if you do need to call CS to report this, turn the hub off beforehand, when they ask what lights are showing and to turn it off and on again, just pretend. Only if they can’t communicate with the hub will they agree that something is wrong and agree to send a tech. On the other hand, you might want to see if Steven_L who responded above is able cut through the procedures and arrange a replacement.

Hi andrew100,

Thanks for coming back to us. If you're ports are still not working even after several pin hole resets. Due to this, we may need to book an engineer to replace your router for you.

So, I can get this arranged, I will pop you over a private message to take some details from you. Click on the envelop at the top of the page to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Andrew100

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information.

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign into My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment 
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment, so it is important to reschedule if needed.

Let us know how the appointment goes.

Take care.

Jodi. 

andrew100
Joining in

The technician replaced the router yesterday morning so everything is good now.

Many Thanks, Andrew.