cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connected but no internet (on random devices)

bencrolla
Joining in

Hi, I have a Hub3. Had this issue for a while but it's becoming more frequent and therefore more frustrating.

It can affect any device, but usually our phones or laptops. It was for this reason, I had ethernet connection installed upstairs via a splitter so we could ethernet consoles/smart TV's and so on to avoid this issue.

It's very frustrating because, like just now, it dropped on my work laptop. WiFi is still connected, but no internet. Yet, my mobile phone is working fine. Other times it could be the other way around.

What might be causing this issue? For the record, I have a WiFi Pod installed on my upstairs landing, so I don't want to start playing around with my settings as it seems the WiFi Pods are very temperamental.

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

On laptops it can be the Windows Power Plan that is pausing the Wi-Fi adaptor as a power saving measure.

Sadly the Hub 3 with VM Pods operates with Wireless Channel Optimisation enabled, this leads to many Wi-Fi stability ( random channel hopping ) and compatibility issues. So my view of the VM Pods is I don't want / don't have them.

kpanchev
Up to speed

Hi bencrolla,

This may mean that either your connection has lost its IP configuration and has got a link-local address (169.254.x.x) or has lost the DNS settings. The second is more likely, as most modern devices will disconnect from the wifi completely if they cannot get a proper IP address.

The DNS setting could be due to a weak signal, or maybe an issue with the DHCP server on the Hub3. Do you have similar issues when connected wired? If not, it is most likely a wifi signal weakness or interference.

Try changing the wifi channel, if on 2.4GHz, try to use one of the main channels 1, 6 or 11, if on 5GHz, try to use DFS channels.

bencrolla
Joining in

I'm one room away from the router, and hadn't moved when the issue occured today (was sat in my office for a good few hours). Funnily enough, it's swapped and now my phone is having connection issues.

As Client62 described above, you need channel optimisation to use the Pods - the Pods are handy for me as my bedroom, specifically, is in the opposite corner of the house to the router so I would always get complete WiFi drop outs. Just to clarify - the WiFi isn't dropping in this circumstance, it's just the internet that is dropping. As described in the title I get "WiFi connected but no internet" messages.

I'm loathe to start changing the settings, especially the channel as it sometimes means I need to re-add all my smart devices (I have about 14; cameras, speakers, bulbs, sockets etc)

Client62
Legend

WiFi connected but no internet  can be seen after the VM Hub or VM Pods change channel, you may have missed the signal drop out because there is no message for that, but a second or two later the connection on a new channel occurs and there is a few moments before the internet is re-established,

This instability was resolved with fixed channels on the VM Hub and both of our WI-Fi access points.
Even with this we use network cables for the most critical business banking or for unstable platforms like MS Teams calls.

The use of  fixed channels does not affect the SSID / Password i.e. Wi-Fi kit does not need to be reconnected.
We have also disabled all the pre Wi-Fi 4 modes so we have on 2.4GHz n only, and on 5GHz n/ac   and have disabled a/b/g which suits kit made pre 2006.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Perhaps not what you want to read: The Hub 3 is not the best hub on which to hang a load of devices.  It has a lame CPU, borrows processor power from other chips and then you’ve got those wretched Pods and the even more wretched Connect App.  Modem Mode is the answer with your own router and mesh for a modest (imo) dosh layout. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello bencrolla

Sorry to hear of the wireless network issues experienced, we understand the concern and confusion and appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

We've tried to locate the account to check on the connection and equipment to see the levels and specs but haven't been able to. It's has been a couple of days since your post, has it improved at all or do you still experience the frequent drops across devices?

We have help here for wireless issues and here for the dropouts.

Rob