cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All WFH network 1GB except one segment is 100MB, puzzled.

m1kta
On our wavelength

I have checked the ports, ethernet setting etc and all report 1GB but one segment (garden office) still reports 100MB. Do a broad band test from there and you can see it.

Is there a networking tool that will help pinpoint / find (maybe ID device) where in home network a 100MB limit exists? I have eyeballed ethernet cards, all switches and cables and all settings at 1GB full duplex but still seeing 100MB limit for that one segment, very frustrating. I seem to remember seeing something but cannot remember what it was called.

It is somewhere in the infrastrure as if move a laptop from one other the other (cable connection) the speed changes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the cable has failed, it could drop to 100mb, as this speed only needs two pairs.  1Gb needs all four pairs to work.  Both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are good for 1Gb at 100 meters distance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

carl_pearce
Community elder

Have you directly connected a device on the ethernet cable between the garden office and a known working gigabit switch?

m1kta
On our wavelength

Thanks Carl, that is what is most puzzling, it reports a GB connection locally at both ends. The cable between might be suspect, I thought CAT5e or CAT6 was fine for GB over 50m. Maybe should swap to dark fiber and couple fiber converters?

I still looking for that software though, I am sure I've seen it.

BTW VM Broadband is 250MB (reports 236MB/s with a following wind so pinch of salt on those VM numbers perhaps!) so it's local networking I am really interested in.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the cable has failed, it could drop to 100mb, as this speed only needs two pairs.  1Gb needs all four pairs to work.  Both Cat 5e and Cat 6 are good for 1Gb at 100 meters distance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

m1kta
On our wavelength

Tnx, making me think the cable is the culprit. As fiber and converters a lot cheaper than once were I suspect might use some multi core fiber but gonna have to pull through a conduit so might need to be SWA maybe?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wouldn't do any harm to have in any case.  When Openreach pulled fibre to my premises from the footpath, they didn't mess around.  It was quite a lot of pulling on the outer sheath, but the inner fibre survived intact !