cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I keep getting engaged tone ?

soosie
On our wavelength

I have a conundrum that I hope someone can come up with an answer to ! I will try to explain as clearly and briefly as I can but it is a bit of a puzzle.

For the last few days when I ring a certain landline number using my home phone I get an engaged signal. If I ring the same number from my mobile phone I get through straight away and the person I am calling confirms that their landline was not in use to warrant an engaged signal. I can make calls from my home phone to other landline numbers with no problem - it's only this one landline number that appears to be a problem.

Initially we thought that one of their handsets was not properly engaged on it's base but they have both been checked and are sitting on their bases correctly. Additionally from what we can ascertain it is only my home phone that has this problem as the person I am calling is getting incoming calls from other people who report that they have not had a problem getting through. They can call me with no problems.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the update, we are going to need to bring you into a private message so that we can look deeper into this.  Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

hotrod
On our wavelength

Try putting the area code in front even if its local. Having the same issues here in the Southampton area for some time now. VM have a big problem they cant appear to sort out? Suggest everyone email the VM CEO saying its not good enough, needs to have resources thrown at it and fix it now!

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey soosie,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having trying to reach a certain landline number. Do you know which operator the landline number is working with? Is it with Virgin Media or with another operator? When was the last time that you were able to contact the number successfully? 

The person that you're trying to contact, are they able to make calls to your landline number?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

soosie
On our wavelength

The number is stored in my handset directory and is the full 11 digits including the area code - I've tried "manually" dialling the number with and without the area code but no joy.

Does your landline operate via  wall socket or via the Hub soosie?

Rob

soosie
On our wavelength

@Steven-L thank you for your response.

The number belongs to my sister and they are with Sky. I think that the last time I was successfully able to get through via my landline would be just before or over the Christmas weekend. As I was ill over Christmas weekend she was ringing me daily rather then me ringing her. I only started to ring her again 3 days ago which is when I realised there was a problem. She can get through to me using her landline with no problem - it just seems that I can't get through to her using my landline. As I said originally I can get through to her landline using my mobile (EE) but not by using my VM landline.

I have suggested she contact Sky to ask them to check out her line but as she is getting calls from other people OK with them having no problems she doesn't think it's her end. I can also make calls to other numbers using my landline with no problem, just not to her. As I said a conundrum !

It's a strange one that's for sure soosie, just to confirm this is the only number experiencing the issue (that you are aware of)? 

Rob

soosie
On our wavelength

@Robert_P

Yes, as far as I am aware it is the only number. Yesterday evening I tried dialling a few contacts from my address book and in all cases I got a ringing tone. I have just tried my sister's landline number again and it's still returning an engaged tone. 

soosie
On our wavelength

My landline operates via my Hub - I was switched over to VOiP at the end of August this year.

On a side note - I'm being slow in replying to your questions because I'm not getting notifications by email of replies to this topic so have to keep logging back in to check for replies. I've looked but can't see anywhere to check that notifications are turned on. 

Thanks for the update, we are going to need to bring you into a private message so that we can look deeper into this.  Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina