cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer second phone line from BT to VM

Felim_Doyle
Fibre optic

Our existing VM phone line has already been converted to VoIP / 21st Century Voice but we also have a BT telephone line which we are considering transferring to VM as a second line.

Are there any complications with this? Will the old BT number simply appear on the second telephone port of the SuperHub 3? What information is required by VM to initiate the transfer? 

Regards 

Félim Doyle 

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
9 REPLIES 9

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Felim_Doyle,

Thanks for posting this question on our Community Forums, that is a really good question - Which I think other users may want to know in future too 🤗

First aspect to be aware of is that the BT landline account needs to be active before we can do the porting process, so please don't cancel the BT account before we have completed the port. 

Secondly, we would need to add a second line onto your service, this would create a new contract with the second line attached and initiate the port process and your number would be ported to our systems. 

An engineer visit will be needed to set up your new second line correctly. 

Please see here for further information on installing landlines - Including second landlines 👉 How To Set Up Home Phone.

Please let us know if this is something you'd like to do going forward. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Felim_Doyle
Fibre optic

Why is an engineer visit required? Converting the original VM number from PSTN to VoIP was a simple matter of unplugging the cordless phone from the old copper wire connection and plugging it into the adapter on the SuperHub 3 at the allotted time on the day of the switchover.

Surely the process would be the same for the BT number.

Félim

Hi @Felim_Doyle, thank you for your response.

As it's a second line on our 21CV system, we'd need to make sure it's set up correctly for you.

Please let us know if you'd like to proceed with this process.

Regards,
Daniel

How does a second line differ so much such that an engineer visit is required to "make sure it's set up correctly for you"?

Surely you plug the phone into the adapter, the adapter into the SuperHub 3 and the rest of the configuration is done remotely.

Félim

As this is a second line @Felim_Doyle it can be a little more complex and an engineer is required to ensure this is installed correctly.

Felim_Doyle
Fibre optic

Ashleigh, 

I'd really like to know more about what's involved as I don't want any unpleasant surprises on the day.

I especially don't want to find that the engineer wants to replace or factory reset my SuperHub 3 as I have made several configuration changes and I have a lot of fixed IP addresses set up to overcome an inherent fault with the DHCP server in these router / hub devices and to allow external access to certain network devices.

Félim

Hi @Felim_Doyle 

I am not aware of the full process as I am not an engineer, but the engineer will be more than happy to talk through what they are doing and what they need, this would typically be to check all wirings and ensure that the new line is up and running after install. 

We cannot guarantee that a factory reset would not be done as this is a common step in our diagnostic process. 

Ashleigh, 

You have not mentioned whether the engineer's visit would be chargeable and, if so, what the cost would be.

Félim

Techs are free unless one of the T&C's have been broken which can be rare

They are; 

Most technician visits are free of charge, in the below instances there would be a charge of £25:

•    The customer is not present for the technician visit (aka a missed appointment) .

•    The fault is due to customer's own equipment.

•    The fault is due to damage caused by someone at the customer's premises which we were not aware of.

•    The fault is due to theft, loss, or removal of equipment. 

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?