cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of old landline number

oliviagrout87
Joining in

My old BT landline, that I've had for over 20 years, had not ported across when I switched to VM even though I had requested to keep it. 

How do I get Virgin to rectify this? 

Olivia 

7 REPLIES 7

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @oliviagrout87 

Thanks for posting, welcome to both Virgin Media and the community. 

Sorry to hear it's not been ported. Is the number still active with the old provider? If not, please call them and get them to re-activate it, we can then port it across.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John.

Thanks for coming back so fast! 

As far as I'm aware it's not active anymore. So I'll need to contact BT and ask them to reactivate it. What do I do after that? Contact Virgin again? 

Thanks. 

Hi @oliviagrout87 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Yeah perfect contact them first.

I'll send you a PM now so we have the details, and then just reply to me again when activated 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@oliviagrout87 wrote:

My old BT landline, that I've had for over 20 years, had not ported across when I switched to VM even though I had requested to keep it. 

How do I get Virgin to rectify this? 

Olivia 

Did you contact BT at any time & put in a cancellation request?

This is usually what causes number ports to fail. Virgin must handle the entire process including cancellation of the BT contract. If you contact BT & give them notice it throws a spanner in the works & can block the number from being moved.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It is up to VM as the gaining provider to deal with your number port. If your BT line has ceased, it is likely you will not be able to get them to reactivate the line for you unless you take out a new contract. You, as the customer, should not have to play any part in arranging or organising the porting process nor make contact with your old provider.

That's not correct about the cancellation of the providers contract. Porting a phone number (that's active) will cancel that part of their service yes, but it doesn't guarantee the other service cancellation (if indeed there is other services non-phoneline).

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

No mention of other services in my post, just the porting of a landline number. Directing the customer back to BT to try and make the porting arrangements themselves for the number is not how it should work if VM has failed to port the number for whatever reason.