cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System down... no landline... no mobile

Tony_
Dialled in

VM had planned maintenance in our area which was supposed to finish at 6am today.

it didn't... there is know a registered fault on their status page to say service expected to return by 4pm. So I can't make landline calls as in their wisdom  the phone goes through the WiFi box.. but here's the question.. my mobile service (again on their wisdom) was transferred to O2... but for some reason I can't make any calls on that either ... it now just says "not registered on the network." I thought the O2 service was separate to VM. Is my O2 mobile service somehow associated with VM? Don't make a lotta sense to me. My guess is that my mobile will recover when VM gets back to normal cos it has happened once before.
When/if we ever get service restored I'm gonna see if we can go back to a normal landline as there are vulnerable people here and at present no way of making or receiving calls.
(WOW... just got a text from VM to say there is an outage in the area.. not had an update like that before)

Any ideas about the mobile?

3 REPLIES 3

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Tony_ 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you are facing an outage in the area, we can understand how frustrating this is but we can assure you our team are doing all they can to resolve this for you. 

In regards to the phone, this would be linked to O2's network rather than our own. You can check the coverage in your area online here. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tony_ wrote:

When/if we ever get service restored I'm gonna see if we can go back to a normal landline as there are vulnerable people here and at present no way of making or receiving calls.

There will be no going back to traditional landlines. The 1970s technology that runs the exchanges is now unsustainable. Most of Europe have shut down their switched networks & the UK will follow suit with all telephone exchanges shutting down for good next year. All voice traffic over fixed lines will be VoIP from that point. VM do offer an emergency backup line (EBUL) which works on the mobile phone network should the fixed line Broadband fail.

The issue with o2 is unlikely to be a VM issue. It may even be a power failure in an adjacent estate that has taken out both VMs nodes & the local mobile phone masts. Large mobile towers usually have a UPS power backup, but some smaller street based micro-cells may not.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Call 202 from your O2 mobile (this is free) or 0344 809 0202 to talk to O2 customer service.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection