cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 5 with landline

richardshughes
Tuning in

Hello,

I upgraded my Superhub 4 with a Superhub 5 today, which I am starting to regret. My landline which worked okay, now seems to have several problems since moving to the Superhub 5.

1. Not all calls will go through, sometimes if I dial a number, I'll just get constant beeping and no dial tone.
2. During a call, if the person at the other end, ends the call... I will just hear the same beeping sound and then the line will go silent, but the line is still active until I hang up? Before, if the other person hanged up, I would hear the disconnect tone and the call would end and the line would close.
3. When I start a call, usually now I hear quite a loud popping sound on the phone before it starts the call.

I have a phone system at home (FreePBX) and use a gateway to use the line but I have disconnected all of this and connected a phone directly to Tel1 on the Superhub and it's doing the exact same thing.

Looking at posts here, it seems like the Superhub 5 doesn't work very well with the landline part...?

Cheers,
Richie

10 REPLIES 10

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @richardshughes

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your landline services recently following a change of router. When did you last discuss this with the team and what did they advise?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

richardshughes
Tuning in

Hi Zach,

Thank you for your prompt response. I called Virgin Media a few hours ago and they ran a test and said that they'd have to send an engineer out... but I am not sure if the engineer has been booked as when I look at My Virgin Media, it doesn't show the booking like it would normally.

This is quite frustrating as looking at other posts here about the exact same problem and there doesn't appear to be any solution other than going back to the Superhub 4 - which is a ridiculous size and shape for someone who has a server cabinet with limited space. It also doesn’t get the advertised speeds for 1Gig.

I’ve resolved one problem with broadband speed and now have some more space in my cabinet, to now have a new problem with a problematic landline. I am not sure what the engineer is going to do, I’m not meaning to be rude, I work in IT and I know that this problem is with the hub and replacing a wire isn’t going to resolve the problem.

There is something clearly wrong with the design of this hub…

1. The line remains open when the other person in the call hangs up (it shouldn’t do this).
  2. It takes several attempts to successfully dial a number and reach a ring tone. I just tried there, and it took me 5 attempts to get my mobile to ring… the failed attempts, I just hear beeping and no dial tone.

I have connected a phone directly to the hub with the Virgin Media supplied “digital converter” and the problem occurs there too. I’ve tried 4 different phones, all which worked perfectly fine prior to changing to the Superhub 5.

Cheers,

Richie

Hi @richardshughes

What does it state when you check for a technician booking online? Did the team tell you when it had been booked for?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Given you work in IT, you should accept that Virgin Media are sending a technician to problem determine your issue.

You suggest  you ‘know’ that the Hub5 is the faulty device with no clear explanation of why you think so.
My Hub5 works perfectly well with the phone connection.

Let Virgin Media take responsibility for identifying and correcting your issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Zach_R,

When I check for the technician booking, there is nothing there. Unless this has moved somewhere else, the last time I had a technician booked, many years ago, it would show at the top of the My Virgin Media portal. There is also nothing in My Orders and Appointments. They said two different days, which has confused me. They said tomorrow (Friday) and then Saturday... so I am not entirely sure on what day or even what time an engineer is going to visit... if they've been booked.

Cheers,

Richie

I am not meaning to be rude but it’s quite obvious where the problem lies.

1. Phone line was working perfectly fine. I could make calls first attempt and the line would close when the other person hung up.
  2. I remove the Superhub 4 and install the Superhub 5.
  3. Phone line no longer works as it did before. It now takes me several attempts to successfully place a call. The line also does not close when the other person hangs up, all I get is beeps and white noise.
  4. I have tried 4 different phones and I have connected them directly to the hub – all with the same problem and phones which worked perfectly fine with the Superhub 4.

richardshughes
Tuning in

Hey,

I thought it might help if I shared a call recording of what happens now with my landline since moving to the Superhub 5 Broken call recording. Not sure if anybody here has experienced this before. I had a text message this morning to let me know that the engineer is booked for tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Richie

Thanks for the update richardshughes,

Please let us know how your engineers visit goes tomorrow.

If you have any further issues after your visit, please pop back her and we'll assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Good morning,

The Virgin Media Engineer visited this morning and confirmed that the problem was with the Superhub 5 and that it is a known fault with the Superhub 5.

The Engineer was really helpful and resolved the problem quickly by re-installing my old Superhub 4. My landline is again, working, as it was prior to upgrading to the Superhub 5.

It is disappointing that a problem that has been known by Virgin Media, dating back to 2021… is still a problem in 2023. I do not know why Virgin Media are supplying hardware that has a known fault, to customers who the fault would have a negative impact on (customers who have their phone service).

Hopefully this fault will be resolved soon, as it was nice getting at least 800-900 download… I am now back to the 400-500 max with the Superhub 4, but at least I have a functional landline again.

Maybe this information will be useful to someone. If you have Virgin Media phone and you want a functional line, I would recommend sticking with the Superhub 4 if you are thinking of upgrading to the Superhub 5.

Cheers,
Richie