cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dialing tone

Derek_I
Joining in

Hello 

I have had no phone line service now for approximately 12 Days. An engineer came out Thursday last week to sort out the problem. I was told that the phone line service had been closed because I have requested to end my services with Virgin Media.  I am now serving the 30 day notice which ends on the 23rd November, so it appears you  are going to close down the phone line before the end of 30 days notice?   If this is the case and the phone line is not reinstated or I don't get a refund for loss of service then I will be making an official complaint.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This 'instant phone disconnection' on giving notice to cancel has been mentioned quite a lot on here recently. Your service should continue in your last 30 days.

You, therefore, have a phone fault caused by VM so you should be eligible for compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

You should start keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Derek_I,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many apologies for the issues faced with the landline, just from checking our forums I can see that our team invited yourself into a PM.

Has there been any update from that channel?

Regarding the disconnected phoneline the team should still be able to re-instate if the account has not already been cancelled, when was the notice placed?

Let us know,

Kain

Hello Kain thanks for your reply.

I didn't respond to the last community offer to arrange an engineer as one was already booked.

Phone stopped working 17th October

Unable to report fault, my wife tried several times to speak to someone on your 0345.. number but could not speak to anyone about the phone line not working, and report the fault.

On Tuesday the 24th being unable to report the fault I decided to cancel all service's with Virgin Media.

On Wednesday 25Th October I got a phone call (Mobile call) from one of your team offering me cheaper deals, which I didn't accept, but the lady also arranged for the engineer to come and sort out the phone line.

The engineer came out on Thursday 26th and checked for faults, and after checks thought the problem could be in the green box at the end of the street. When he returned he said that it looks like the phone has been turned off, since i had cancelled. I was told it could take up to 48 hours to reinstate the line.

Now the 31st October still no phone line, and well over the 48 hours to reinstate the line.

So can you please  advise on the next step to get my phone working?

Thanks

Derek Ishmael

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This 'instant phone disconnection' on giving notice to cancel has been mentioned quite a lot on here recently. Your service should continue in your last 30 days.

You, therefore, have a phone fault caused by VM so you should be eligible for compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

You should start keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary.

fteThank you for coming back to us Derek_I 😊.

Sorry to see there has been some issues whilst trying to cancel with us and your phone line not working ☹.

When the engineer was already booked what did the engineer say about the line fault when you was in PM with one of our team?

After the 48 hours have you tried to use another handset?

Is there a dial tone at all? 

Let us know we want to help.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello Ari, thanks for your reply. Not sure i understand your question. I didn't discuss the Virgin Media community PM with the engineer. The engineer checked the wiring and was confident that the problem was external to my property. I have previously tested my phone in my neighbours house and it worked there when plugged into there BT socket.

Thanks

Derek..........>>

Sorry for the confusion Derek_I, I was asking what did the first engineer advise.

Lets take a look into this to stop anymore confusion and see what is going on with your line 😊.

I will need to private message you to further investigate 🧐.

Please watch out for the envelope ✉.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello goslow

Thanks for your reply, Interesting to see that the compensation starts from the date you report the fault, but in my case and others on this community group, its difficult if not impossible to report the fault. I had to cancel all my services with VM before I could talk to someone about the phone line problem, even cancelling services was done on the computer keyboard. I take your advise and I am recording all communications.

Thanks Derek .......>>

Wednesday 1st November now 15 days without the phone line. Just a quick reminder my phone is not working. Do i need to try and report this again? I assume that the VM and its engineers are still attempting to resolve the problem?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The auto comp scheme requires that if you have a total loss of service of phone and/or broadband, you need to report the fault to VM either by phoning in or using one of VM's online automated tests. In your case VM has created the fault itself by disconnecting you early when you should still be receiving the service in your last 30 days.

Once you have done that, VM has two clear working days to fix the fault. If VM fails to do that, you get an initial payment of £9.33 for the first few days of the outage (inc. VM's two working day fix time) and then a day rate of £9.33 for each full calendar day until your service is restored.

Keeping good records of all that happens is important because VM does not always pay up what is due without a fight based on the regular topics about the subject on here.